I created a very affordable, yet superior keto meal

(Feral Reason) #1

You can view the standard stuff here, but I’ve created a whole page for it with additional pictures and tips.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #2

15g of net carbs is not really workable for many ketogenic dieters.
Also, your label is a bit misleading. Flax is a garbage source of Omega-3, as it’s all ALA, not EPA or DHA, and conversion is poor to awful. So, 3:6 balance is misleading.

(Brian) #3

I’m not a fan of flax either. In addition to Lacheffre’s remarks, I also find it gives stuff an odd taste that I really don’t care for.

I was a little confused by the 15g of carbs and 27g of fiber. I don’t remember of seeing something listed with a higher fiber content than carb content. (?)

(Feral Reason) #4

I think you must be misunderstanding something. This is for the entirety of the day.

And 15g is 5g less than 20g, or 10g less than 25g which is still the bottom limit when you are already keto-adapted.

Honestly, your comment doesn’t make any sense. I’ve been doing keto for over a year, and getting 15g of daily carbs for almost 2000 calories is amazing.

(Feral Reason) #5

You should click on the ‘recipe editor’ tab.

Carbs are net carbs, dietary fiber is dietary fiber.

Everything is perfectly clear if you just think about it for a few seconds.

As for flaxseed, nothing comes even close to providing dietary fiber, protein, minerals, and omega 3 acids.
They taste perfectly fine.

(Diane) #6

FYI. This was not at all clear to me either. Thanks for your clarification.

I have to say that I really dislike the taste of flaxseed, but I’m glad you’ve found something you feel good about and that works well for you.

(Feral Reason) #7

But it has no specific taste at all.
Even bare as just buns they taste like bread, let alone when you add all the ingredients.

It is likely that you have engaged in rancid flaxseed flour.

(Diane) #8

That’s a possibility. I think it’s also possible that just as some people have taste buds that are sentiive to certain compounds in broccoli and find it distasteful, I might have a similar issue with flaxseed.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

Was not clear that this was an OMAD meal.

I don’t eat that way and still wouldn’t count the Omega 3 from Flax.

(Feral Reason) #10

It easily could be, but it’s not.

3 sandwiches are more for 16:8 IF. I’m preparing an OMAD meal this week.

(Feral Reason) #11

Why? Is buying a smelly fish every other day a better and more affordable solution? Coming from polluted oceans?

And you do realize that your omega 3 to 6 ratio has to be 1:1 to avoid cardiovascular problems for the rest of your life? You can easily google this.

(TJ Borden) #12

If I trusted simple google searches, I’d still be eating a low fat high carb diet and falling further into be T2D pit.

(Rob) #13

I’m sorry you got short shrift on your creation. If I may make a few comments (meant to be helpful not critical).

1. I think you oversold the whole thing in the title and then didn’t sell it in the post or the links. You’ve created a keto bun (many out there) and made 3 nice sandwiches. Without further context, that’s about it.
  2. It is affordable, but realistically, it’s not that special. There are many ways to get 2000kcal with keto macros. I can do 2 meals of a) bacon, eggs, pickles, cheese, sauce, b) chicken thighs, fried Brussel sprouts, jello and whipped cream, etc. and go under $12 a day (more like $7.50) and it’s probably less effort than making buns (done it, hated it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).
  3. If it’s a superior bun vs. other keto buns, you might want to pitch that? They look pretty good but most people have been disappointed with keto baking.
  4. You’ve clearly put a lot of thought into it, especially with the micro-nutrients. It looks like a great profile and probably more than I usually get (I don’t track micros) but you really didn’t pitch the uniqueness of your creation, which to me is the micros.
  5. It would have helped to write something in the initial post saying why this is a great sandwich “nutritionally complete, strong micros, memories of carbs past for those tired of bacon, portable (take to work), etc.”. Leading with the ingredients only makes a poor case. As you could tell, it isn’t clear that this is OMAD or 3MAD without digging a little too much and that shouldn’t be the reader’s job. Even the write up doesn’t make a strong case or clear some of these things up.

Anyway, congrats on your concoction. It’s not for me, but I do think it has value, especially for those not ready to give up their carbo-likes, etc. and looking to keep things relatively simple (give or take the baking).

(TJ Borden) #15

You can never assume that with me. Of course most of my google searches are for pictures of nak…nature.

(Brian) #16

Yes. Sorry.

Not meaning to be rude. Just that I find “smelly fish from a polluted ocean” to be something I can tolerate eating. Just can’t get there with flax. Have tried. Have two containers of two different kinds in the pantry right now that I’d gladly give to anyone who wanted them. (Spoken rhetorically… They would cost more to ship than they’re worth.)

Find something you like regarding something subjective like a recipe. Share it on a forum to see if others might like it. Defend your subjective taste with insults and condescension.