I can feel myself losing motivation

(Jason Fletcher) #47

I would guess you may be missing vitamins.

This would be long enough for a deficiency to show up.

Do you take multi or any vitamins?

Possible iron overload?

Our bodies were not meant to zero carb
(Erin Macfarland ) #49

@Dipper_Actual I get out almost every day and use a Human Charger too which helps with circadian rhythms. I live in Colorado and we’ve had an unusually warm winter so I get in the sun when i can.

(Erin Macfarland ) #51

Thank you @PaulL!

(Sondra Rose) #56

Worth getting your D3 level tested. When I lived in Santa Fe, there were still many moms I worked with who lad Vitamin D deficiency.

Search in my blog for relevant posts.

(Erin Macfarland ) #57

I take 5000 IU daily plus vit k2, not sure if raising my levels would help?

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #58

Maybe your particular body needs some carbs? Maybe get some blood work to see if your levels on any specific nutrient are low?

(Sondra Rose) #61

Until you know your storage level by testing, you won’t know if your supplementation is working. It’s the 25(OH)D test.

I find it ridiculously easy.

(Felix) #72

I listened to the Keto Woman podcast that featured you a few weeks ago with great interest. I think that was you, yes? What role do the health concerns you talked about then play in what you’re experiencing now?

(Erin Macfarland ) #73

It was me @Felix! I so enjoyed recording that and sharing my story with this community. I have been having some lingering issues on keto that I have wanted to address, my cravings for keto sweets and snacks were getting to the point where I was feeling miserable because I was eating so many of them. My digestion wasn’t great and I have tried ZC over a year ago and knew of its potential to help mitigate these issues along with simplifying things. So I am trying to figure out if this is a good fit for me. I have to take into account my history and my mental health. It seems to be very beneficial but I do struggle with the idea of only eating meat indefinitely.

(Felix) #74

In that interview I was struck by your saying that keto was a mainline straight to your fat stores, what an amazing thing. But then they ran out. That changes the whole game, getting underweight.

I usually want to punch people who say this, but maybe some moderation? Any system that one doubts one can carry on (I did a bootcamp class that I knew I would quit as soon as possible, that was not going to work) is not sustainable. Vegetables have some amazing gifts to explore for health…

(Erin Macfarland ) #75

I didn’t know I had already triggered my eating disorder before starting keto. I was already quite thin so additional weight loss became very detrimental to my health. I tried to make it very clear in my interview that eating disorders are not intentional or something someone chooses. I had no idea what was happening at the time. Keto certainly didn’t cause my anorexia, but I had to go off of it twice to regain weight. I’m now at a healthy weight and working with my doctor (a low carb physician) to make sure I’m staying healthy. As for vegetables there are numerous studies showing no benefits to consuming them and they may even contribute to health issues, especially digestive ailments. I do feel better without them, though I do enjoy eating them. It’s the macadamia nuts and chocolate that are my kryptonite :grin:

(Felix) #76

I hear you on the treats question! I’ve had to quit cold turkey on salted nuts, and won’t start on fat bombs ever. I recognize the thin edge of the overeating wedge when I see it. (I don’t handle moderation at all well.)

(Dawn) #83

I know this is going to sound like a naive and immature take on things BUT it seems to me that if you:

1. Are feeling Great
  2. Are obtaining your fitness goals
  3. Are getting great reports from the Dr.
  4. Are living a happy and satisfied life,

then regardless of what you are doing rather it be Keto, ZC, LCHF, Carnivore, Atkins…whatever, it’s the right thing for you. =0)

I know that studies and research are important but I am convinced that anyone who has kicked sugar, carbs and processed foods out of their lives is going to be OK even long term. The details of how you do it will vary person to person. I am way off from the OP comments. Sorry

(Erin Macfarland ) #94

Fascinating!

(Rick Dyson) #95

I Think carb cycling seasonal is the way to go. Back long ago we didn’t have fridge’s. Long ago we Hunted in the fall eating wild berries and getting a little weight on and stock up on meat and put it on ice for the winter. While Hell freezes over you get into ketosis and heal and rest. Spring comes you might fish since a lot of game is still sleeping. Then Summertime comes and Apples and berries maybe watermelons were growing this wold be a treat. This would give you sugar yes but ketones would still be in your system and with the fresh water,I bet that would cool you off in the Summer. Even give you that edge for hunting, Honey would be a gold mine to have. When times changes farming was a smart move. Grow food for your pray and kill them off one at a time and have fresh food anytime. This would give you time to build, invent, play chess maybe. We all know Kings in the pasted would eat everything all of the time and get Fat! while the warriors would eat meat and little barely bread and be tough as nails. The way I see it we have a big tank for fat and small one for sugar. Keeping that small one filled half way would be the way to go but still stay into ketosis. I know baby’s drink milk and stay in ketosis and use the sugar in the milk.Their brain is so big and the baby so small that it needs both at the same time. Yes Deer, beef, sardines, pork, chicken soup, eggs, lamb chops, any liver, should be a very healthy diet for anyone. I know giving up the raw goats milk was hard for me. I end up replacing it with wild blue berries. Keeping a cup of them around every week wont hurt. Turning milk into butter was a thing. A lot of hard work for a reason. Having a avocado here and there wont either. Once we started eating what the cows are fed like grains to fatten them up, I wonder why we didn’t think it wouldn’t do the same to us?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #96

It doesn’t take much carbohydrate to replenish the tablespoon or so of glucose circulating in your body.

The part about carb cycling that just doesn’t make sense to me is why, given that high insulin levels are so damaging to the body (to say nothing of high glucose levels, as well), I would want to eat anything that would raise my insulin more than absolutely necessary. I mean, even if I were insulin-sensitive and didn’t have to worry about my body’s response to carbohydrate, I still wouldn’t cycle, I’d just eat all the Krispy Kremes and not worry about it!

Yes. But we are human. And ingenious.
As soon as some bright spark discovered that foods can be preserved (frozen in a glacier, dried in the sun, salted or pickled) the entire ‘natural cycle’ went out of the window and we got to dictate our own preferences.

And the human race has a weakness for sweet flavours that currently drives our worldwide desire for coca cola and chocolate.

It is a wonderful dream to live like my ancestors. But then someone passes me a square of 70% cocoa solid chocolate, and that dream vaporises.

(Bunny) #98

Dr. Jack Kruse: “…When dietary carbs show up in our diet normally, we begin to normally upload our PUFA’s to our cell membranes because our cell membrane need to be more flexible in the cold of winter. For modern humans winter never comes because we cover our bodies in modern life. The other mismatch is our diet. We eat a 24/7 diet of carbohydrates and PUFA’s while winter never comes. We eat this because we “feel” better doing this. That “feeling” might be slowly killing you . Wild mammals might have feelings, but they can not act upon them because their are no supermarkets in the middle of Yellowstone park catering to their needs and wants year round. Our brain created all of modern life. This creates huge problems for our cells. Our cells get over run with omega 6’s and become pro inflammatory over time as our cells are recycled in sleep with autophagy. This is where the cytokine storms and leptin resistance comes from that shorten our telomeres and age us faster. These cytokines are the fuels that speed our chemical clocks up and shorten our telomeres. …More

Richard’s take:

(Adrian ) #100

The way I see it, after first being exposed to Keto diets 1 year ago and ZC now, ZeroCarb is truly the only “true” Low-carb diet. There are no half-measures.
On Keto, you’re still keeping the sugar addiction alive, even if dormant. The only way to freedom is complete elimination of carbohydrates.