I am a lion / fasting

(Marius the butter craving dude) #1

Did a post holiday 72 hour fast. Broke it with lard and organ meat.
Right after I eat I just felt like I need to sleep, not the sugar type of burn out, but still I lost my energy.
I thought this is very similar with lions: they stay long periods of time without food, they have fail hunts but still have energy, they eat untill belly full then they go to sleep.

(John) #2

I also find myself wanting to nap (or actually dozing off) shortly after eating, even when the meal is almost all fats and proteins. Not sure what causes that. It doesn’t happen every meal, but it is a change I have noticed since starting a ketogenic diet.

(Marius the butter craving dude) #3

Yes, and it is not the total burn out as you get from a carb meal. If I must do something I can find the energy to do it. It feels like my body would prefer if I sleep a little, it is ascking me gently not forcing me

(John) #4

Yep, that’s the same thing I get. It seems to be worse if the meal is pretty big. It hits me about 30 minutes after eating and then goes away after about an hour.

It is probably just normal postprandial somnolescence, which is a fancy term for “being sleepy after eating”.

(Allie) #5

That’s normal for me after a three day fast. I’ve always assumed it’s because the digestive system has had to suddenly wake up and start working again as that takes a lot of energy.

(Carl Keller) #6

I recently read an article about tryptophan which is the thing that everyone says makes you sleepy if you eat a lot turkey. The article said that eating high amounts of protein (especially lean protein) can make us sleepy. The tryptophan thing is just a myth, FYI. It said that tryptophan is found in all poultry and that chicken has more of it than turkey. You don’t hear people saying “KFC puts me to sleep”.

(John) #7

Dr. Berg talks about this in one of his YouTube videos.