Hypothesis: Ketogenic diet and anorexia nervosa

(Richard Morris) #1

Interesting Hypothesis posted in a response to the latest Ketowoman podcast.

This is just an hypothesis, but an interesting one. Starting from the premise that ketosis is anxiolytic … or reducing of anxiety … while avoiding the morbidity … ummm deathiness … of starvation.

The hypothesis is that ketosis, and it’s ability to reduce anxiety, is the primary benefit sought by someone with anorexia nervosis and they have found starvation and exercise useful in generating ketones. That is that people with food anxiety disorders may self medicate that anxiety by generating ketones through starvation and exercise.

So this may be why nutritional ketosis appears to be a legitimate alternative treatment, because it fills the same need as the behavior being replaced.

Also interesting her discussion of how they create rodents with anorexia. They put rats in a cage and decrease their eating time, some (mostly young and female) react by increasing time on the wheel and decreasing their food intake, eventually stopping eating altogether and eventually starving to death.

One study tested 51% carb diet vs a diet with no carbohydrates. In the high carb fed rodents 8/10 starved to death. In the high fat one, 1/10 died of starvation.

(Karen Fricke) #2

Interesting… As a former anorexic I have wondered the same thing. I was hesitant about fasting because I didn’t want to trigger any problems, but fasting (and eating again) was easy. I’ve hit goal weight and increased fat calories to help maintain. While on keto there haven’t been any issues with disordered eating, I don’t feel guilty like I shouldn’t be eating.

(Richard Morris) #3

I had no idea Karen, but that is awesome being able to safely fast, re-feed, and maintain without triggering disordered patterns.

I tell people that as a diabetic who used to not be able to trust my bodies signals, and my biggest achievement from keto is not the weight loss, but that I can now trust the signals I am getting. It appears that may be the case for eating disorders too.

(Erin Macfarland ) #4

Oh my goodness @richard…this is FASCINATING. I have wondered why I have kept coming back to keto despite having become severely underweight from eating this way during my ED. I can completely identify with the anxiety reducing effect of keto for me, as someone who has had anorexia. And the study demonstrates the increase in compulsive movement that accompanies this disease, which I discuss in the podcast as being part of the genetic adaptation to flee famine. I think keto, when done appropriately and when sufficient energy is taken in, can indeed be a very effect treatment for this illness. The trouble comes when those of us who have struggled with anorexia end up not eating enough and fasting extensively. Then the disorder will inevitably be triggered as these behaviors induce a state of energy deficit. So it is a fine line to walk and it takes a lot of self awareness to stay honest about your intentions and how keto is affecting the expression of the disease. Thank you for sharing!

(Kitty) #5

I’ve had a LONG history of AN. I’ve been seeking ketosis for this very reason; so I don’t have to die of thinnes to get the relief from depression, anxiety, and ADHD. I’m not there yet but would love to hear from others battling AN with a ketogenic diet. I don’t talk with people about this subject because they are quick to asssume I want a ketogenic diet for further weight loss, WHICH I DONT! I am scared to death of getting low in weight, but I also can’t cope with life at the levels of depression, anxiety, and fatigue (YES! Eating food causes severe fatigue for me, contrary to popular opinion) I experience if I try to eat “normal”. Would LOVE support on this topic! Thanks Richard!

(Bunny) #6

ANOREXIA\BULIMIA\CALORIE COUNTING\MACROS:

I think NUTRITION (electrolytes, vitamins and trace minerals) is the key factor here, generally anorexic or bulimic individuals are not mindful of nutrition (or may not care to educate themselves about nutrition) and that is most likely due to lack of education about how the human body actually functions!

I also think counting units of energy (calories) {what anorexics and bulimics so profusely worry [only if your rocket scientist trying to navigate the space shuttle?] about!} or macros is like trying to count(?) the electrons in the amount of fuel you put in the gas tank of your car, it’s what in the fuel that matters not the electrons whirling about in the amount of fuel! Hence, not being mindful of the dangers about the period of time excessive glucose (type of fuel) is consistently present in the blood stream (what is actually making and storing the fat); …with no break (INTERMITTENT FASTING) in sight from excessive exogenic sugar (e.g. high fructose corn syrup) including glucose from carbohydrates (also from protein, fat and highly refined and processed carbohydrates)? Where the core root (the source of the bio-physio-chemical chain reaction) of the problem (fear of being fat or thinspiration etc.) actually is!

How to explain fasting to my tween daughter?
(Ken) #7

IMO, one of the major benefits for anorexics who switch to a fat based (lipolytic) nutritional pattern is the reestablishment of a normal leptin response. The one’s I’ve suggested a 60/35/5% lipolytic/paleo macro to have all stopped losing weight, and in a few cases have experienced limited muscular gain, and improvements in general health without any fat gain. They also seem to lose their anxiety, and are no longer focused on food. The key seems to be making sure they understand the science, mainly being it is almost impossible to add body fat while secreting glucagon. This seems to alleviate much of the psychological issues.

(Chris) #8

This is very interesting indeed. And deathiness is now my new favorite word.

(Bunny) #9

Some Illustrations: How to explain fasting to my tween daughter?

(Emma Cohn) #10

Hi Ashlee!
First, I don’t have experience with AN but I can speak to the depression and anxiety because I have experienced those conditions for nearly my entire life. I started a ketogenic diet in July of this year and I didn’t expect to experience sudden relief from anxiety. I was pleasantly surprised that after the initial adaptation phase, and keto flu symptoms subsided I was sleeping better, handling work stress with ease, even planning my wedding was much less challenging. I no longer take the SSRIs or struggle with long periods of malaise. Mentally I feel healthy and secure, and I don’t find myself dwelling on the thoughts that used to constantly plague me.
I’ve also found that the inverse is true: if I fall off the wagon (like the week of thanksgiving I gave myself a pass on all the carbs I wanted) I feel itchy, bloated, irritable, and much more sensitive to daily stressors.
I started this WOE for the weight loss, and my results in that department have only been modest. But the psychological improvements are so much more than I could ever have anticipated. Because of this, I intend to stay keto for life.
I hope my anecdotal evidence helps, and I hope you are starting to feel the emotional benefits that I have experienced. Good luck with your keto journey and I’d love to hear how you are doing.

(Consensus is Politics) #11

Holy guacamole fat bombs Batman! Keto does it again!

So I discovered the reversal of T2D on my own, and parallel to that discovered this forum and the 2Keto Dudes. I’ve learned that insulin blocks us from burning fat. I’ve learned insulin has a fairly short half life, and we can avoid its effects on fat reduction by IF. There are reports of skin problems clearing up (skin tags, which are very common with T2D’s) and to be fair, have heard of something called the Keto rash (still wanting to hear something definitive, or at least a theory that makes sense), and more!

Wow! I started keto just to prove the dieticians wrong about diabetes. This is so much more! Keto is the gift that keeps on giving! Oh wait, there’s a disease that took that saying… Darn it then… damned the carbs and pass the bacon! Keto for Life! Viva la Keto! Keto vitae!

I did seem to get various forms of keto rash in the begining and I would get itchy when sweating during exercise. This seems to have resolved somewhat 8 months in

I do not remember the exact mechanism but it is something about ketones being excreted through the skin that causes the irritation

(Gail P) #13

My family has dealt with “eating disorder not otherwise specified” (now inactive) for about ten years now, and I have lately been wondering about if ketogenic diets might be good for those disorders.

Clearly more research is needed here. It seems tricky to start when there are so many health issues that may need to be addressed.

It is good to know keto is beneficial in the way I imagined for at least a couple of people, such as the reduction of anxiety.

Thanks to the ones who commented, I am having trouble and it was my daughter who had the disorder!