Hydrogen Peroxide, Vitamin C & Glucose Meters

science

(Bunny) #1

I wanted ask anyone who is interested, what would they make of this?

What can be derived from this?

What is your take or opinion?

“…A 71‐year‐old woman with advanced esophageal cancer and diabetes presented to the Department of Metabolic Medicine, Osaka University Hospital, Suita, Japan, for glycemic control in November 2012. At the first visit, her glycosylated hemoglobin level was 8.8%. SMBG was carried out using the Medisafe® meter (TERUMO Corp., Tokyo, Japan) to determine the dosage of regular insulin before every meal. One day, she was given a high ascorbic acid dose (50 g) in another hospital. Her blood ascorbic acid concentration just after administration was 342 μg/mL (normal range 4.7–17.8 μg/mL), and her blood glucose level determined with the Medisafe® meter was below 1.1 mmol/L, which was ‘low’. Simultaneously, glucose levels were measured using the Glucocard®meter (ARKRAY Inc., Kyoto, Japan). According to the Glucocard® meter, her blood glucose level was above 33.3 mmol/L, which was “high.” She had neither hypoglycemic nor hyperglycemic symptoms. The fasting blood glucose level (9.3 mmol/L) determined with the Medisafe® meter 2 days after administration was close to the level (9.2 mmol/L) determined using the intra‐hospital laboratory test based on the hexokinase method (Quickauto‐Neo GLU‐HK; SHINO‐TEST Corp., Tokyo, Japan) and using an automated analyzer (JCA‐BM6050; JEOL Ltd., Tokyo, Japan). Then, the treatment with intravenous high‐dose ascorbic acid was discontinued with her consent. We prepared blood samples that contained 4.4 and 11.1 mmol/L glucose, and 0–500 μg/mL ascorbic acid. The glucose levels increased in accordance with the increased ascorbic acid concentrations using the Glucocard®meter, whereas they decreased using the Medisafe® meter. However, the glucose levels measured using the intrahospital laboratory test did not change in response to any ascorbic acid concentration (Figure 1).

“…The Medisafe® meter is based on the colorimetric method, which is applied to several types of Accu‐Chek® meters (Roche Diagnostics, Mannheim, Germany), whereas the Glucocard® meter is based on the electrochemical method, which is applied to many glucose meters, including the One Touch Ultra® (LifeScan Inc., Milpitas, CA, USA), FreeStyle® (Abbott Diabetes Care, Alamdea, CA, USA) and Contour® (Bayer Healthcare, Tarrytown, NY, USA) meters. As hydrogen peroxide is consumed by ascorbic acid, less hydrogen peroxide is available to react with the dye on the test strips, leading to falsely lower glucose readings by the Medisafe® meter. In contrast, ascorbic acid is oxidized at the electrode surface, and more electrons and more current are produced, leading to falsely higher glucose readings by the Glucocard®meter2. The critical glucose measurement interferences by high‐dose ascorbic acid could cause inappropriate insulin therapy or glucose administration, resulting in serious hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia. We need to understand that this type of interference occurs at the bedside; therefore, blood glucose levels just after intravenous administration of high‐dose ascorbic acid should be measured using the hexokinase method, not with these SMBG meters. …” …More

[2] Hydrogen peroxide in the human body

(Todd Allen) #2

My take is high dose vitamin C affects glucose readings of consumer glucose meters. I’ve been taking high dose oral C, up to 24 grams daily, as part of my treatment of lead poisoning and also see it affect my glucose meter readings while my lab glucose and HbA1C have been as expected.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

The home-use meters obviously use a different method of measuring glucose from the standard laboratory test. They may not be measuring the actual glucose level, but rather some proxy for it. We’d probably have to get the specs for the meter in question to really know what is going on.

(Todd Allen) #4

The article Bunny linked to sort of explains the differences in test protocols. I have 3 glucose meters all of the electrochemical type and they attempt to measure glucose by an oxidizing chemical reaction with glucose in the test strip. Unfortunately vitamin C is very similar to glucose which is its precursor in organisms capable of vitamin C synthesis and it also reacts similar to glucose in electrochemical test strips raising my glucometer readings by about 20 to 30 mg/dl. In my case this is merely an inconvenience as I was primarily testing to monitor my reaction to carbohydrates. I had been eating 20 to 50 grams daily watching to stay within my targets for ketones and glucose. But for the last 8 months while taking high dose C I’ve been unable to accurately monitor my blood sugar so I’ve cut my carbs which mostly came from fruit and only have them when my ketones are very high which pretty much guarantees my blood sugar is good. The article points out this is a serious issue for those using these meters to manage dosing of insulin or other drugs and they need to be made aware of it.

(Bunny) #5

Thank you Todd that’s what I was looking at also, to me there something more mysterious and deeper going on with this and my sprockets are rolling on it still.

What really kind of disturbs me is you could be told by your doctor to increase your insulin dosage or glucose dosage like in the case above when it is not needed or necessary?

(Bunny) #6

One thing that is strange is how you can take Vitamin C and inject it into a human being intravenously and it will make Hydrogen Peroxide?

If Vitamin C is taken orally it neutralizes Hydrogen Peroxide?

In some rat studies they successfully used hydrogen peroxide in place of insulin, how odd?

Footnotes:

[1] H2O2 Signalling Pathway: A Possible Bridge between Insulin Receptor and Mitochondria: “…This review is focused on the mechanistic aspects of the insulin-induced H2O2 signalling pathway in neurons and the molecules affecting it, which act as risk factors for developing central insulin resistance. Insulin-induced H2O2 promotes insulin receptor activation and the mitochondria act as the insulin-sensitive H2O2 source, providing a direct molecular link between mitochondrial dysfunction and irregular insulin receptor activation. In this view, the accumulation of dysfunctional mitochondria during chronological ageing and Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is a risk factor that may contribute to the development of dysfunctional cerebral insulin receptor signalling and insulin resistance. Due to the high significance of insulin-induced H2O2 for insulin receptor activation, oxidative stress-induced upregulation of antioxidant enzymes, e.g., in AD brains, may represent another risk factor contributing to the development of insulin resistance. As insulin-induced H2O2 signalling requires fully functional mitochondria, pharmacological strategies based on activating mitochondria biogenesis in the brain are central to the treatment of diseases associated with dysfunctional insulin receptor signalling in this organ. …” …More

[2] The Insulin-like Effect of Hydrogen Synthesis in Rat Adipocytes:

[3] Source and Sites of Action of Hydrogen Peroxide in Mitochondria and Cytosol of Pancreatic Islets

[4] Mitochondrial H2O2 emission and cellular redox state link excess fat intake to insulin resistance in both rodents and humans

[5] Catalase Deficiency and Type 2 Diabetes

[6] Role of insulin receptor phosphorylation in the insulinomimetic effects of hydrogen peroxide

[7] Study sheds new light on type 2 diabetes development

[8] Effect of hydrogen peroxide on lipolysis and glucose metabolism in isolated rat adipocytes

Protons

(Bob M) #8

Why?

(Bunny) #9

Why Not?

(Todd Allen) #10

Lead poisoning induced scurvy.