Hurricane Irma

(Lauren) #1

Well, if Irma follows the current projections, she js going to beat the hell out of Florida, then pay a visit to the Savannah area. Even if it’s not direct, I’m not staying after Matthew. We were without power for over a week, and our apt complex was flooded for over 2 weeks.

I’m in the middle of evacuation prep (just in case) and I just realized how much I’m going to lose from my deep freezer. We don’t have big enough coolers OR enough room in the car (5 kids, 3 cats, 1 dog) for it anyway. I’m sad about the steaks, pork chops, and burger, but I’m heartbroken about the 8 boston butts. Those were supposed to be for the wedding in December. We won’t be able to afford to replace them if we lose them. We are broke due to a job loss a few months ago.

No question here. Just sharing my sadness over probably losing a crap-ton of meat.

(Liz ) #2

Hugs from the Northeast, that sounds really hard. Hang in there.

Mid-west Florida here. “B” evacuation zone. We’ve got lots of water, homemade pemmican, and canned fish (and the “healthiest” dog food we could find for the two pups). We also have some MREs that I hope we will not have to use since they’re filled with carbs. We’re trying to eat up all the meat in our freezers before Irma gets here so it doesn’t go to waste. Good luck @GhostlySmile, and be safe!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

I’m really sorry you have to be going through all this. I hope your house comes through intact, and that you guys and the kids and the animals all come through in one piece. Your lives come first; all the rest you can cope with.

My ex and I survived hurricane Hugo on St. Croix, and it was a very traumatic experience, but at least we were there on vacation and didn’t have to face the loss of everything we owned. You will be in my prayers.

(Mark Rhodes) #5

Is there any chance you could seal them in a ziploc full of water, freeze the ziploc and place in the freezer which will remain closed? I did this for a camping trip in a cooler in 94F weather and my prime rib lasted 10 days.
Good Luck through your trials.

(Lauren) #6

Maybe? I see if I can make something like that work.

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

What marklifestyle says has an application I’m not sure everyone sees. All coolers work better when they’re full of ice and not opened. That includes freezers. Freezing food into a block of ice will eliminate freezer burn and keep it fresh longer. Freezing large blocks of ice now will help keep everything cold. I wouldn’t be surprised if you came back in a week and had most of your ice intact and the food just fine.

I’m on the middle of the east coast of Florida, near Cape Canaveral. The 11 AM forecast has it overhead Monday morning. We’ve been through a couple of Cat3s, one Cat1 and too many tropical storms to count so I’m not evacuating. For some mysterious reason, our power always comes back quickly. We’ve had it come on while neighbors a block away are still on their generators.

Good luck no matter what!

(Dustin Cade) #8

I’m and Insurance claims rep… we are in deep w/Harvey… waiting to see what Irma does… here goes a few months of lots of work and little sleep!!! I do hope all stay safe!

(Sophie) #9

I feel for you guys. I went through David in Savannah and evacuated for Hugo. Never again will I try to weather a hurricane. Got my ear to the weather channel for my family down in Tampa. I told them all to hightail it to Chattanooga, so I’m waiting to see what’s going to happen there. Be Safe Everyone!

(Lauren) #10

My mom was in Richmond Hill (just south of Savannah) for David. Still lives there. It spawned a tornado that ripped up everything around their house.

(Keto in Katy) #11

Wishing you and everyone around there the best!

I live in the Houston area and we just got past Harvey about a week ago. We were very fortunate to not have any flooding or damage to our home but many here are still digging out from it.

(Hillary ) #12

Do you live in Chattanooga? I live on Monteagle Mountain!

(Lauren) #13

My county is officially in a state of emergency. And no water to be found anywhere. Stupid panicking people.

(Todd Allen) #14

Is there time to turn some of the meat into jerky that could travel?

(Sophie) #15

Cool! I’m near Hamilton Place! :grinning:

(Linda Culbreth) #16

So sorry - storms are nothing but nightmares and expensive. Freezing in blocks of ice is good, also turning what you can into jerky in the oven is good. Here’s a third option - if you know you can’t take it with you, but you know someplace nearby is going to be a shelter, give it to them. Better than it going back. My prayers are with you and those in it’s path.

(Stephanie) #17

Be safe! We are praying for everyone affected by the hurricane. Love from Minneapolis!

(Jo O) #18

Check with your renters insurance. We were without power for 3 weeks in Hurricane Andrew. Our homeowners insurance cover the contents of the freezer/fridge.

Many policies under Sandy covered some food but it had a limit and you had to show damage (take pictures of the meat). Generally it was around $250 but it differs depending on the company. Another thing that people got covered for who were home was sewer backup, my friend’s toilet started spewing before her first floor flooded and fortunately her son got the pictures. Not a reason to stay home during a life threatening hurricane but in the north we are not used to it and after Irene not being a big deal in many places (although some did get hit hard) many people mistakenly stayed during Sandy

Best wishes

(Mary) #20

I have a sous vide solution. We had a lot of meat in the freezer that I put in Foodsaver vacuum sealed bags. I have a sous vide Oliso machine that can take quite a bit of bags straight from the freezer to the machine and in 24 hours you get the best cooked meats perfect for finishing off to many meals. After it was cooked and cooled I threw a lot of it back into the freezer to drag out when I felt like a quick meal.

We had family in Florida that moved to Arkansas partly because of all the weather related storms. After 3 hurricanes in a row they called it quits and moved. In Arkansas they now contend with tornados so it is where you call home that matters. Take care of yourself and the children. I hope you can save some of the freezer meats by cooking them or sharing.