Hurricane Irma

I’m in Florida, and started packing every inch of space with ziplocs filled with water. If you do that and keep the doors shut on the freezer it will last for 5 days. I’m not leaving.

The stores are sold out of anything decent and we can’t get water. We’ll just fire up the grill and eat what we have over 5 days. Good luck!

PS Try canning next year. I have sausage and beef patties canned, and pulled pork.

(Central Florida Bob ) #23

Well, FWIW, I’m back. No damage to the house, just without power for two days, and tons of leaves and debris to clean up. It was easy to do 24 hour fasts for a couple of days, which made it easy on everything in storage. I have friends that are still without power and are expecting it to take up to a week. Yuck!

Hope the rest of you in the storm’s path did even better than us!

(Linda Culbreth) #24

So glad, Bob.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

Glad you and the house are okay. I survived a hurricane once, and it was a very stressful experience. Take good care of yourself for the next few months, and don’t be surprised by odd emotional reactions to certain stimuli. It all calms down over time.

(Carpe salata!) #26

Post-trauma reaction is common. Good point. Take it easy eh.

Lucky we don’t get those storms here much at all.

(Central Florida Bob ) #27

Thanks, everyone.

I’ll be honest: Hurricane Maria got me scared at first because it seemed to be following the same path as Irma, just pushed south by 50 to 100 miles. The models eventually started showing it staying offshore, and they largely all agreed with each other. By Sunday night/Monday morning, I finally relaxed.

The nature of these storms is that someone usually gets it, though, and Puerto Rico is getting hammered hard right now. Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

(Linda Culbreth) #28

yes

(KCKO, KCFO) #29

As did all three of the US Virgin Islands. And the season still has some time to go.

Hoping everyone stays safe and if hit by one of these monster storms that your life gets back to normal quickly.