Hunger Returns

I started the Keto diet about 6 weeks ago. For the first 4+ weeks, I was never hungry - and I mean never. In fact I found it difficult to eat at times because I was somewhat nauseous. I’ve lost almost 20 pounds up to this point.

Now I’m hungry all the time. I guess my body is accustomed to the change and it’s craving more. I eat a lot of fat: two cups of bulletproof coffee in the morning, eggs, bacon for breakfast mid morning, fatty meats for a lunch lunch, and more meat and some veggies for dinner. I snack on pork rinds mostly and I sprinkle in some nuts on occasion. The bottom line is I’m well below 20G of carbs per day and I’m feeling hunger again in a big way.

I did start excercising this past week, but I was feeling the increase in hunger before then.

I won’t cheat on the carbs. Not going there, but any advice on some foods that may help keep the hunger at bay?

(Julie Anderson) #2

I like to add a bit of fat to my meat. For example, I put a big dab of garlic butter on my salmon. I make the Chart House Blue Cheese recipe and put it on steak or dip my wings in it. When I do this, I find that I often reach a point where I cannot eat one more bite. So I stop.

I have been Keto since Feb. 2016 and at goal since November 2016. Adding a bit of fat to my eliminated hunger. My two states are “I’m so full I couldn’t think about food” or “Meh, I guess I can eat.” I often skip meals and just sit with my husband at diner when he eats.

Julie

Hey again :slight_smile:
I don’t know if this helps, but I’ve finally given up trying to understand exactly why I’m more hungry at some times than others. There are days when I feel like I could keep eating endlessly and not get full, and other times that I fill up immediately. I’m sure some of it correlates with exercise but it might also be some internal activity - breaking down, rebuilding- that we can’t quite see and maybe would be wise not to second-guess too much.

As long as you stick to your carb limit (sounds like you are), I bet you’ll find that this phase will pass fairly soon.

[Not sure if this is relevant but will mention it just in case: I do really badly with deprivation, so if I’m in a phase of being really hungry, I do best if I just go ahead and eat until I’m satisfied so that I don’t start a cycle of feeling restricted and unhappy.]

Yesterday I ate like a rescued castaway, so of course I felt guilty, right?

I think the plan of not questioning my body is right. If it’s telling me I need food, I’ll eat, but I’ll focus on the fat. I like the butter idea as well. I ordered a Ribeye in a restaurant the other night and had them put some butter on top of it, which I would have never done in the past. It was a 12oz. cut, which I could easily devour in my old days with a loaded baked potato on the side, yet I was very full after finishing it.

(Karen Parrott) #5

I discovered xantham and guar gum were hunger/binge triggers that have no off button for me. Also, nuts. Once I removed those I get better hungry/full signals.

I also have had some success with bringing my protein grams closer to my fat grams- still keto with 17:7 fasting. I don’t always get the proper food signals- even with fat (haven’t since the age of 6, I’m now 51).

Experimenting around will help. Tracking my intake and activity helps me to see data and use it when my signals don’t serve me. Onward.

Interesting, Karen. I didn’t know about the Xanthum Gum being a binge trigger but it makes sense. I’ll be watching for those. I also eat small amounts of nuts. Now wondering if they’re causing me to stay hungry…

(Liz ) #7

I know you will find the key or keys, or your body is doing its thing and will regulate again on its own. But just throwing this out there: are you using artificial sweeteners? They can cause an insulin response which could contribute to hunger signals.

Interesting.

My wife makes a dessert for us with heavy cream, small quantity of pure’ed rasberries or blueberries, vanilla, cocoa powder, and just enough Truvia to give it a little flavor. Makes me wonder if the Truvia could be a culprit.

(Todd Allen) #9

This pattern of a short term early lack of hunger and easy weight loss might be due to a combination of insulin resistance and leptin resistance. Cutting the carbs drops insulin allowing over stuffed fat cells to begin releasing there excess stores. Fat cells can pour out a lot of leptin without suppressing hunger if you are on the hyperinsulinemia driven blood glucose roller coaster. As the fat cells unload they cut back leptin production towards normal levels which is no longer sufficient for satiety if chronically high leptin resulted in leptin resistance. Fortunately leptin resistance also reverses with sufficient time at lower leptin levels.

I like to add 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar to my 16 ounce water bottles

Yikes. That must taste terrible though, huh?

I drink 60oz. of water per day - essentially 4 water bottles.

(Doug) #12

It’s not nearly as rough as drinking it straight. 5% alcohol, like in a beer = no big deal. That 5% acidity in apple cider vinegar = a force to be reckoned with.

I don’t know too much about ACV, but people rave over the stuff. Does it live up to the hype?

(Doug) #14

No idea here, Alamoman. I like the idea of stuff like apple cider vinegar, perhaps probiotic or something like that.

If you’ve got a good bottle of apple cider vinegar, you should see some strand-like sediment floating at the bottom. No, your vinegar hasn’t gone bad—that gunky-looking stuff at the bottom is the most important part! It’s called “the mother,” and it contains raw enzymes and gut-friendly bacteria that promote healing.

Gotcha. I started taking an oral probiotic after I read “Undoctored.”

You can barely taste it. just 1/2 teaspoon per 16 ounces, and may I suggest doubling your water intake too! I drink 169 ounces daily lol

If I’m feeling hungry, it takes the edge off

Wow! I bet you have a bathroom nearby!

What’s the benefit of that much water?

I like it, and it releases any water retention. Makes your skin nice too!

Not sure I can manage that much water in a day. 60 oz. will have to do for now. I may try the ACV.