Hunger pains

I heard that hunger pains go away. How does this happen. And I read that when you still have hunger pains. Your body is holding on to its fat. If I read that correctly. If so I want the hunger pains to go away.

(Jules Swart) #2

For me, it’s not that hunger, true ‘my body needs some fuel’ hunger, went away. It’s more that crazy cravings unrelated to actual hunger went away. Pre-keto, I wanted food 90% of the time, even right after eating, even stuffed full of food. Now, however, I get hungry when I haven’t eaten for hours (or a day, occasionally) and after I eat a good meal, I’m satisfied.

That’s kind of what I was asking. My problem is I can’t go a day or a few hours without being really hunger. I don’t mean just wanting food. But, the stomach hurting I need food pains. I’ve had some cravings go away. But, was wondering. Since, I still have the hungry pains. Is this my body’s way of telling me something?

I still get hunger pangs almost 3 months in. Everybody is different. Just listen to your body. You’ll find often just having some water will curb it :slight_smile:

(Stephanie Tebbs) #5

Once you are fat adapted your body will be able to get some energy from your body fat so you will get hungry less often. It takes awhile to get fat adapted, every person is different. In the meantime, eat fat when you are hungry.

(Carpe salata!) #6

Yes it can be simply water or salt or taking a pee or just distracting to some activity … whatever works for you.

If still hungry eat some fat :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

If you’re keeping your carbohydrate intake under 20 grams a day and your protein intake around a gram a day per kilo of lean body mass, then if you’re getting that hungry that quickly, you’re not eating enough fat. The whole point of a low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet is that you eat fat until you’re satisfied, regardless of how many calories you end up consuming. You’re body will tell you when it has enough fuel, you don’t need to calculate it.

I remember the day I finally had enough fat. I was halfway through the meal, and it became clear I didn’t want to eat any more. In fact, the thought of eating any more food became slightly unpleasant, because I’d finally had enough to satisfy me. On my previous way of eating, I was constantly hungry. I could have a belly-full of spaghetti and still want more.

Now I find myself satisfied at the end of a meal, and I can go hours without thinking of food. I eased into keto, going fully keto sometime in June. Back in March I was at my heaviest ever, 247 lbs. Now I’m down to around 200 lbs. And all by eating as much as I wanted.

(Carpe salata!) #8

I always though that I was never ‘going on a diet’ because it was a miserable way to live. And it would be good if I was just one of those people who never had to worry about weight, eating, nutrition … it just happened for them with no effort.

I tried all sorts of supplements and diet changes and was beginning to think it was a lost cause.

Then I discovered keto.

Thanks for all the feedback. My hunger pains are not as bad anymore. I’m eating smaller portion sizes. And eat very slow. I think it’s helping. Plus I’m getting more fat in now than before.

(Carpe salata!) #10

Thanks for the update. ‘Keep calm and keto on’ really does work.

(Kara Clapp) #11

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I found it very helpful. I am still nervous about daily calories and despite hitting the correct percentages I am still having hunger pains at 2000 calories.

I will trust your advice and eat more calories until my hunger changes.

Thank you again!