HRV - Heart Rate Variability

(Tom Seest) #1

Anyone use Heart Rate Variability (HRV) to make decisions before, during or after a fast?

(Jim Russell) #2

I have used HRV for making decisions about weight lifting, but not for fasting. It seems like it would be a pretty natural fit, though. I will have to dig out my heart rate monitor and start doing some baseline measurements.

Great idea.

(Tom Seest) #3

I’m always one to bail on a fast if I feel “off” but I’d like to explore the use of HRV data to take the emotion out of the decision…

(Sonia A.) #4

Do you mean that you decide to prolong or stop a fast if your heart rate moves up or down ?

(Tom Seest) #5

Yes. Making decisions as to whether to continue, to start, etc.

(Sonia A.) #6

The only time I used HRV was when I fasted for 13 days. The last few days I had heart palpitations, sudden elevation of my HR up to 150 bpm. So I decided to stop. I also use HRV to see how I’m affected by some types of food.

It’d be interesting to use HRV for my current alternate-day fasting protocol. I’ll have to investigate.

Do you mean changes in heart rate from one day to the next (60, 72, etc) or HRV as measured by devices that actually indicate the changes in the intervals between the beats?
I thought you meant the latter - and I think folks use that for training purposes, so it definitely makes sense to use it relative to fasting! - but I can’t tell if some of the answers to your post are about day- to -day changes in resting heart rate?
I don’t measure HRV but have been curious about it for a while…

(Tom Seest) #8

I meant the latter. True HRV.

(Hunter Hankley) #9

Following

Following as well. HRV is on my list of interesting things to look into at some point. Please keep us posted if you use it to make fasting decisions (or see any patterns relative to how you feel during a fast).

(Nikky Burge) #11

I’m relatively new to EF. I’ve done a 70 and a 95 hour in October. I started measuring my morning HRV about 2 months ago. Last week on the 3rd day of my fast I didn’t sleep well at all and my HRV was much lower even though I felt great. I decided to break my fast partially because I was afraid that my sleep was being affected by fasting and I had a busy day the following day and partially because my husband fixed chili for dinner and I was fantastic. I added about a tablespoon of olive oil to my bowl of and went heavy on the cheese and was still in ketosis the next day. I also slept much better that night.

I will continue to watch trends in HRV while fasting to see if I can determine any correlation.

(Boston_guy) #12

The Oura ring measures HRV overnight - convenient because it’s automatic and taken while resting.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #13

I don’t know if that belongs in this topic, but I noticed that my resting heart rate is soo much higher on feasting days (78ish) compared to fasting days 62-68.
My fitbit responds with a zig zag that correlates beautifully with my fasting pattern, just don’t have any idea what to make of it yet. Anyone else noticed such patterns?

(Tom Seest) #14

While technically not Heart Rate Variability, it is a valid observation that I’ve seen in my data. Eating and the subsequent digestion of food are both processes that require energy and oxygen and you will notice that the heart rate will be elevated some from those activities.

(Alec) #15

Tom
I am waiting for my HRV monitor to arrive: when it does, I shall do some testing with it and fasting and let you know!
Cheers
Alec

(Mark Berry) #16

Following. I use HRV to train. I use LCHF to stay healthy. I’m tracking my exercise and HRV. When HRV is low then I relax or just walk the dog. This week I’m doing some IF/20/4 windows to see how that reacts to my HRV. Yesterday’s training felt tough even though low hr and I did 20/4 and today HRV is below desired range. Doing another 20/4 today and will see tomorrow how my HRV has reacted.

(Mark Berry) #17

My HRV was dropping with the IF. I started eating 3 meals a day thu last week and then went for a camping trip this weekend and had a boozed weekend with some anaerobic exercise and my HRV has gone up to above normal target zone. I’m thinking stress from works affects me more than the diet did.