How would you cook this?

(Paul H) #1

Looks like super thick bacon. I have never cooked it before… I assume low oven?

It’s not bacon, as it’s not smoked or cured. It’s just straight pork. Many ways you can cook it. In the frying pan, on the BBQ, air fryer, in a hot or a low oven. A low, slow oven will render a lot of the fat away.

(Paul H) #3

Good point Chris! I want the fat… yes uncured…oven temp? Or pan? Thanks I m no chief…

Does it have the rind on it still?

(Paul H) #5

No… first time buying.

You can cube it and fry it in a stir fry, or just straight fry it in a frying pan. Or even wet or dry marinate it and cook in a high oven.

Next time try and get it with the rind on, then you can oven bake on a high temperature and get a nice crispy strip of crackling as well.

(Paul H) #7

Thank you very much.

(Paul H) #8

Fat bath… yum.

(The Lackadaisical Ketologist ) #9

I roast pork belly in the oven, although I have never seen it in strips like that. I simply coat it with olive oil, season with salt, pepper, paprika, etc. then roast at 450 degrees for 30-35 minutes. When the fat is crispy and the meat is juicy it’s ready to rest and then eat.

('Jackie P') #10

Ah, this is my favourite thing! Just salt and pepper, put in a medium oven (gas mark 6) for 30 minutes, turn and cook for another 30 - 35 minutes until the fat is sticky and crispy! I enjoy them with fried eggs best!
Enjoy

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Sometimes used for Korean BBQ like this. Actually I thought it was thinner? Now I see it’s pretty thick. :cowboy_hat_face:

('Jackie P') #12

? Like what? Was there supposed to be a picture with this😊

(George) #13

Damn, I’ve been trying to find pork belly for weeks and have not found it at any of my local stores.

Enjoy!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

@JRS08 I saw that Safeway is carrying it at my local recently, they didn’t a while back. :wink:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(George) #15

ah! Good to know! I’ve been craving it so much lately. I satisfied the craving on Saturday at a Brazilian steakhouse, but now it’s back !

(John) #16

I couldn’t find any either, but my local Korean grocery store had some. It is a staple ingredient in a lot of Korean cooking. They had both thin and thick sliced (looking like bacon) but not the really thick stuff with the skin still on it.

I cooked it like bacon, just fried up in a skillet. It tasted more like pork chops than bacon, but it was a mixture of the two flavors.

That looks amazing…would you say 175degree C oven or even lower?

('Jackie P') #18

About 190 - 200C

(Jack) #19

Pork belly strips like this are really common in UK supermarkets. And usually pretty cheap too! I liberally season then add some chilli flakes, in the oven for 35-40 mins at 180°c. The fat crisps up slightly on the edges and just wonderfully melts in the mouth.

Another option is to chop into small chunks and pop in the air fryer (I forget time and temp though). Crispy bits, perfect for snacking.

Thanks :slight_smile: I will let you know how it turns out :slight_smile: