How/why do dieticians/nutritionists think this is healthy?

(Bob M) #1

I took my mother to her general practitioner’s doctor appointment. While in the lobby, the ubiquitous “healthy eating” show was on the TV. (This is a large conglomerate, where the TV is completely controlled by them and runs only the programs they put on it.) They were making a “snack” before bedtime, ostensibly to help with insomnia. I did not catch it all, but they listed some reasons why they thought this would help people sleep (tryptophan in milk, something in oats, etc.).

It had milk, oats, some kind of liquid sugar (honey?; didn’t catch it), chocolate chips, bananas, and cherries. I did not catch the type of milk; I assume it was low fat or skim.

And they kept remarking on how healthy this was, and how the milkshake the chef said he used to drink was unhealthy.

For the life of me, I cannot see why anyone would think this is “healthy”. No matter when you eat it. You might as well mainline pure sugar.

And it’s in a doctor’s office, and they control the output on the TV (it alternated between this show and info about individual doctors or medical conditions), so it’s an implicit indication of what you should be eating.

It’s no wonder people who find out what benefits low carb/keto has no longer believe their doctors.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I watched the Diet Doctor video of physicians and Nina Teicholz testifying at a hearing on the 2020 U.S. dietary guidelines. I had to stop watching, I was getting so angry! These hearings are such a travesty, and any committee member with integrity ought to be calling for the guidelines to be utterly rescinded.

(Bob M) #3

The only thing I can think of is that we know what happens to our bodies when we eat that way. The people who make these recommendations, either they don’t know or it doesn’t affect them. I see a thin woman colleague eat things that would case my blood sugar to explode, and yet she’s thin. (She took the liberty one day to harangue to me about the evils of processed meat.)

I ate super low fat for decades. I was able to control my weight, by being young and exercising a ton. But I also had mood swings, was constantly hungry, was depressed, had massive gas and other digestive problems, etc. I thought that was the way everyone was. It wasn’t until much later, after being low carb/keto for a long while, when I realized those were from the diet, not from me. Maybe they are like that, too?

Nina Teicholz was Tweeting the meetings, and I followed her tweets. I knew some of the people who had testified, including my former doctor (who also worked at the facility I’m complaining about, where she was the ONLY low carb doctor; sadly, she left for a different job).

It must be my biases, but when I watch what they are making, I say to myself “sugar; sugar; more sugar; fruit sugar; sugar”, interspersed with “low fat”. :angry: Meanwhile, they keep telling us how “healthy” this dish is.

(Ken) #4

The recipe looks like it’s intentionally trying to induce a massive hyperinsulinemic “Carb Coma” as a solution for insomnia. Pretty nutty. Reminds me of something my local, massively obese RD would recommend.