How to stop thinking of fasting?

(Sierra) #1

I enjoy fasting. The more I do it the easier it is, to the point that hunger doesn’t even phase me now. I have been fasting about 3 days a week for the past month or so (I started again when my daughter turned two - she still nurses, but only before bed and nap). Before I was attempting to get pregnant, pregnant or breastfeeding a baby I would frequently fast (my longest was a 14 day strict water fast). But one thing has always remained constant through all this fasting: I can’t friggin" stop obsessing in my mind about fasting. Several times an hour I will think, “I’m fasting today”, or do the math on how long I’ve been fasting. It’s getting to point of irritation. I love everything about fasting except my OCD tendencies of this mental obsession. Does this happen to anyone else? Any advice?

(Tom Seest) #2

I’d just try eating something any time you think about it…The problem may cure itself.

(Sierra) #3

But I’m fasting. I usually will drink some water or tea.

(Daniel C.) #4

I hate that as well but today i killed my ego and i just push it . Killing the ego. One cheap advice. I wonudt go for the pills like metformim sibutramin ecstasy vacina rodero or other combos

Has there been a significant change in weight, or other things, between now and before?

(Daniel C.) #6

They key was never to give up knowing that i have tons of bacon ready to wait for me as a treat, what was yours?

(Cathie Condon) #7

I’m currently on fasting day 6. Being fat adapted I have felt hungry less than once a day. I’ll think of something I want to eat at the next meal and then remember that I’m fasting. I get very disappointed- I miss food then. However I tell myself I can eat that pork belly next week ! The results of fasting are so great that’s it’s totally rewarding and worth it. Plus I feel like SuperWoman!

(Sierra) #8

It’s so strange. I really don’t get crazy hungry when I fast. I don’t have a problem making it to my target hours for a fast either. It’s just that I think about it so much when I’m fasting (not when I’m not fasting). And it’s like this for a 24 hour fast and for a 14 day fast and everything in between. IDK maybe for me that is part of the mental challenge of fasting. I was just wondering if other people do this too. As far as weight lost. I have lost 45 pounds in the past 2 years. But I also had a baby 2 years ago. I currently weigh about 158 pounds (depending on the time of the month). I’m still 20 pounds up from my pre-preggo weight. But weight isn’t my driving motivation for fasting. It’s for blood sugar control, back pain control (fasting strangely gets rid of some chronic back pain I have had since some delivery complications) and to reduce my cancer risk.

(Becky Searls) #9

Lol :joy: this advice literally made me giggle. I am the exact same way. I legitimately like fasting and how I feel, but at the same time I do obsess about it in the same ways you do–I have started using this app to track the hours so I can let go of the calculating more:

Zero - Fasting Tracker by Courtney Circle

I also obsess a bit planning my future meals. Dumb bc there is no shortage of food but :woman_shrugging:

I would love any tips too! Best thing I’ve found is just staying busy or distracting myself with a great movie or book!

(Becky Searls) #10

Hahaha nice!

(Jeff) #11

Perhaps a therapeutic approach would help? You may find it helpful to adopt a mindfulness approach, rather than trying to not think about a pink elephant. :grinning:

For example, when you remember that you are fasting tell yourself, “Thank you for taking such good care of this body.” Or you might say, “This discomfort in my stomach means my body is healing.”

If you insert the word “fasting” where it says things like “difficult emotions,” this article about acceptance may also be helpful to you: http://www.mindful.org/three-ways-acceptance-helps-work-difficult-emotions/

Rock it!

(Mike W.) #12

Huh?

(David) #13

I am the same, but I can’t stop thinking about “keto”. I am not craving food, most of the time, not even hungry, but I do think about “keto” a lot. I trawl this forum, watch YouTube videos (even watching the vegan ones that are so opposed), look for recipes and listen to podcasts. I am only four weeks in but this immersion is real. Has anyone else found this in the early stages?

(eat more) #14

yep…knowledge is power :blush:

i don’t think this forum would exist if others didn’t immerse themselves :blush:

I’m a lot more than four weeks in and I’m still immersed, just not quite to the same degree! :wink:

Food is such a large part of our lives, that revolutionizing what we eat and how to navigate through a world that’s obsessed with carbs, would likely result in having to spend a lot time educating and verifying our choices. So this would carry over to the times we’re fasting, too.

As plenty of others have said, I just try to keep myself busy/distracted when tempted by food during fasting.

(David) #16

Thanks for that. My fear is that I will get fatigued by process of thinking about keto and lose focus. I just want it to become ingrained and become part of the steady background noise to my life.

(Sierra) #17

Jeff. Very helpful! thank you so much! I’m going to work on this one. I think it could bring my fasting experiences to a whole new level

(Tom) #18

It’s hard to just stop thinking about something, so my approach about such things has two prongs:

1: overwhelm said line of thought with other stimuli. That could be mindful thought about what you’re doing currently, listening to music, reading, underwater basketweaving (then you’ll be obsessing about how much air you have left), or whatever you find interesting enough to hold your attention.
2: Give yourself permission to “check in” on your fasting timeline and progress a couple of times a day, at predetermined times. Put it in your phone or set an alarm. Then, designate a specific place in your household to go and do those mental check-ins. When it’s time to check in, go to that place, stand there (ideally with a strong, confident, powerful posture), and then once done, leave that spot, walking in a confident way while envisioning some representation of the fasting as staying at that spot. By externalizing the fasting to an alarm and a specific location, you can give your mind permission to focus on other things.

That’s a pretty cool idea, crunchyfrog. I would need to keep telling myself when the fasting thoughts come back, "I already covered that topic (in my specific place at the appointed time) so let’s move on to another topic. Kind of like treating my thoughts as an unruly student who keeps disrupting a class with questions that have been previously answered.

Interesting strategy. I might try this. Not for fasting, but dealing with some idiotic nuisances in my life.