How to start fasting?

newbies
fasting
weightloss

(Alix Thomas) #1

So i think im at the point where i need to start fasting. Been doing the keto thing for about 7 weeks now, the cravings are (mostly) gone, and im pretty good at reading labels (you sneaky sugars!!!) And i only cheated once (for a couple handfuls of popcorn at the movies) But i havent lost any weight since about week 4. Its frustrating, but i know its a process…
So phase 2 needs to start… i just dont know how to start! I want to try the 16/8 thing, but how do i start? I have so many questions!

Do i just not eat in those 16 hours? Should i start at a certain time of day? Can i still drink my coffee (1 monkfruit packet and 2 tsp benefiber per 20 oz)? What is this ‘water fasting’ thing? Am i going 0 cal or just restricted cal? Where do i begin?!

Any help/advice/guidance is appreciated sincerely!!!

(Katie) #2

Well, begin by picking the time your will fast…

Dinner at 6pm then skip breakfast and go to noon? That is the most common way. You don’t have to sleep on an empty stomach when you start out.

Eat lots of fat in that dinner meal…it will really sustain you…I bet you would even miss breakfast!

Start slow, first IF 16/8 (skip breakfast) when ur comfortable doing that try full 24 hrs, when that goes better try 36hrs, if it feels bad and is too much at once just dial down, simple. Fasting is also easiest when ur fully adapted.

(Katie) #4

No…skip all that…especially the fiber…it is carbs still.

Replace the morning coffee with butter and stevia or swerve. Monkfruit causes many people to get an insulin spike.

The goal is to fast, … and use a little fat to help you along if you need it
You want your insulin level to remain as steady as you can.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

A good way to start is with IF (intermittent fasting) where you shorten your eating window, to say 18/6. That would mean you choose a 6 hour window in which to consume food. For starts that might just mean shopping breakfast. It’s best to ease into fasting, rather than jumping into a 24hr fast.

Water fasting is just drinking water and not eating anything or drinking anything that has any form of calories or sweetener.

(Susan) #6

If you want to start with an IF schedule, you choose the two meals you are going to eat, for most of us this would be lunch and supper. I do a 20:4 -Lunch at 1pm and then no food until 4:45 or so for supper so no food at all from 5pm -1pm (20 hours no food daily) Lunch and Supper but no snacks between.

Some people might do 16:8 like you said, so that would be like 10 am you eat and then again at 6pm would be 16 hours no food from 6pm until the next day at 10:am -after a while you could shorten it to 12noon and then 6pm., so your eating window is 18:6. It is great to do these things gradually, and see how your body responds. The idea is to eat two meals and not snack between, for your body to adjust levels.

Water fasting is when you decide to Fast and not eat anything except water, or plain tea or coffee some people have as well. If you are strict you can do just water, but many of us have coffee or tea =). I always have plain tea and herbal tea when no food fasting. This is usually done for a period of at least 24 hours with no food. As your body builds “fasting muscles” you can increase this. I myself did a bunch of 24 hour ones first, then a few 48 hour ones over a few weeks before attempting 72 hour ones, the longest I have done is 74 hours. Some people on the forum have done way longer. Just do what is comfortable for you personally. Everyone is different. Good luck =).

Like the others have said, I find it easiest to skip breakfast. Of course, I did this before anyway. I just have my coffee and then water until lunch. I don’t put anything in my coffee personally. I tried butter, but I couldn’t get past the slippery feeling. Good luck!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Okay, hate to be different :wink:!

I do IF almost everyday and I opt for an early eating window. It works better for me so my point was do what works for you. I am a firm believer for a few reasons why this is better. For one thing if you’re trying to keep insulin low for the most benefit eat breakfast and a late lunch. This somehow lines up better with circadian rhythms. He himself can’t do it because of family obligations to eat dinner with his kids but Dr. Fung says it’s the best way if you can do it.

So I like doing it, and sleep better on an empty stomach. Breakfast is usually the larger fatty protein meal of my day. :cowboy_hat_face: