How to show my friend the science

(Katie) #1

My heart is broken. My oldest friend has been hospitalized again. With BP through the roof. Failing thyroid, and pancreatitis.

In the past when I have tried to talk to her about her weight and health, she has gotten very defensive. Obviously, I don’t know how to reach her and fear losing a friend (both emotionally because she rejects me, and physically because they cannot go on much longer).

I know if I send you email with links to all the studies I have read, she will simply proclaim “well, isn’t it great you have all that free time!”

Ok…is there a very solid, scientific article that will put this all into perspective in a concise and condensed manner?

Someone know a link…I would just copy it to pdf and send her the whole thing in a download so she won’t be forced to be online to read it…(one less issue to learning)

I fear I am going to lose my old friend very soon if nothing changes.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

There’s something the Dudes prepared, called “The Ketogenic Diet in a Nutshell.” I believe it’s available as a PDF. Found the link: http://www.pwop.com/download/TheKetogenicDietInANutshell.pdf

(Marianne) #3

It’s very sad that in spite of her grave health issues, she still is not interested in exploring an alternative way of eating. I think sometimes people are so worn down after a lifetime of conventional dieting that they just don’t believe anything can be this easy - or restorative. I get that. Before I started keto, I was honestly terrified that everything I read wasn’t for real. I had lost all hope of ever being a reasonable weight again, forget about being “thin.” Like most of us, I was a mess, physically and emotionally. It’s hard to feel so powerless; sometimes all you can do is appeal to the Universe to move people.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Free time? The sad thing here is she is running out of all time. What time is more precious than time put into saving your own life? Most people just give up and surrender to their illness and rely on doctors to fix things without putting any personal efforts into saving their own lives. We have to take responsibility for ourselves, doctors only work with you maybe an hour a month if you see them a couple of times. While we have the opportunity to take responsibility and make real healing changes every single day, doctors just patch you up and give drugs to ease symptoms in most cases. We have to do our part. It’s sad but what can you do if people won’t hear the message and even consider it as an option or a way out? I truly hope your old friend sees the light.

My sister is in a similar situation, just diagnosed with diabetes. She is obese, has horrible inflammation and pain, and uses Fentanyl patches and another pain medication because of neck vertebrae damage and lots more meds. She’s been talking about doing KETO for a year now. She says her doctor hasn’t cleared her for it. I told her no sane doctor would tell you not to stop eating candy and junk processed foods, I am hoping she’ll just start moving in the right direction but I think she has some sub conscious self destruction and addiction to sugar issues. What more can I do? I try to be an inspirational example to her because pushing doesn’t do any good. People really need to take to the changes on their own because they believe it will help. Some people just can’t seem to do it.

:worried:

(Katie) #5

I sent that PDF file to her. I feel I cannot push her, and I think she won’t read it.

She believes that because her dad was diabetic she will be…just the genetic roll of the dice. She also has complete faith in her doctor.

Well…until less than a year ago…I too had complete faith in doctors. Even while I watched both of my parents die from metabolic disorders (heart attack and stroke). I believed the doctors were doing everything that could be done.

It is driving me nuts that I cannot reach her.

(BuckRimfire) #6

Has her doctor cleared anyone for it? Maybe she should ask about that…

(Marianne) #7

:cry:

So true. I honestly don’t know if it’s denial, lack of hope, or fear giving up beloved foods (I equate to food addiction) that is the barrier - or a combination of all of these. Very sad.

(Marianne) #8

Oh, so sad. My sister is similar. I love her to pieces, yet there is nothing I can do. She “can’t give up furit,” or “eat all that meat.” Makes me want to cry.

(Marianne) #9

Right on! For those people whose have had, (is this grammatically correct?!), God bless!!! You are one of the lucky one!

(BuckRimfire) #10

I can’t help with the fruit, but tofu is keto.

Get your sister to take a look at diabetes.co.uk and the forum on there. There are hundreds of people successfully off meds and in remission by doing LCHF or Keto. The section on success stories is very motivational.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

I’d love to but I don’t think she’s even watched a couple of short YouTube videos that I sent her. She asked for info but I don’t think she ever follows through checking it out because it might mean facing her addictions. I need to go stay with her, she lives 3000 miles from me. :confused:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

First, I have to say this: Tofu is the Devil’s handiwork. Blecch! :scream:

Now, as for the main topic, it occurred to me that there might be videos people could watch that would refer them to the science for follow up. That was what impressed me most in the early days: people like Dr. Phinney and Prof. Volek never made a statement without backing it up with data.

The three people who got me started down the rabbit hole were Dr. Attia (his TED talk), Dr. Lustig (“Sugar: The Bitter Truth”), and Dr. Phinney (one of his LCDU presentations from years ago). From watching Dr. Attia’s talk I discovered Dr. Halberg, Dr. Lustig’s video led me on to Gary Taubes and Nina Teicholz, and Dr. Phinney introduced me to Low Carb Down Under and a whole host of folks. Eventually, I stumbled across the forums (probably from one of Richard’s early LCDU presentations, I no longer remember). But the point is that once you can get somebody to watch even one presentation, the Net will keep throwing up other intriguing possibilities.