How to kill fat cells?

(Alan Williamson) #1

With diet and most exercise, a person can shrink fat cells, but the cell is still there. Is there a way to actually kill the fat cells? I have heard that weightlifting can trigger biochemical changes to trigger the fat cell to die, but perhaps this is bro-science.

(karen) #2

Possibly more bro-science, I’ve read that approximately 8% of your fat cells get replaced with new ones every year, and if you are stimulating autophagy and don’t need those extra cells, they (or at least some of them) may not regenerate. Sloooooow but steady?

(Adam Kirby) #3

Fat cells allegedly die and are replaced every decade. Now, if you’ve gotten adipose hyperplasia from accumulating body fat over the decades, will some of those “extra” fat cells die and not be replaced? I don’t know if anyone knows the answer.

(Todd Allen) #4

Large fat cells (hypertrophy) is linked to insulin resistance, inflammation and many diseases. Large numbers of fat cells (hyperplasia) is linked to better metabolic health.

Some drugs for diabetes such as pioglitazone work by stimulating growth of new fat cells.

Here is a paper that discusses this:
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/59/1/105

(the cheater) #5

I think liposuction (or other cosmetic procedures) is the only the only way to kill/get rid of the cells themselves. But why would you do that? You need them! You just don’t need them all over-inflated :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I was just reading about a drug that kills fat cells, in Robert Lustig’s book, Fat Chance. Apparently they haven’t got the kinks worked out, or you had better believe it would already be on the market.

My understanding was that they had a lifespan of so many years and if you don’t need them and they die, they’re not replaced. For cheating there’s always coolsculpting, crap works but you’ve gotta set the wallet on fire to have it done!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #8

I would sell my soul…