How to get unhooked from soda

(Ben Davis) #21

So far, so good. I didn’t tell my wife that I had quit and, the nice woman that she is, bought me another 12-pack of Diet Barq’s and even put one in the fridge in plain sight. I put it back in the box and haven’t had any at home or otherwise. She was cool with it too. She said “Well, you don’t have to drink it.” :smiley:

Thanks again everyone!

(Alison) #22

Awesome!!! Are you missing it a lot, or is it not really bothering you?

(Ben Davis) #23

I’ve had a few small cravings, but nothing major. Zero cravings today. I realize the main craving I have is I like the experience of eating melty ice in soda. You can sort of get the same experience with water, but not really. It’s something I will do without and can do it with water if necessary.

(Ben Davis) #24

Update - still haven’t fallen off the horse. I’ve eyed the 12 pack of Diet Barq’s in the pantry a few times as well as the Diet Pepsi fountain spigot when my family has stopped somewhere for lunch with the stuff, but I pass it off pretty easily. The biggest temptation was yesterday. I thought “It’s July 4th - should I have one with ice to celebrate?” Then I remembered why I did this:

1. I don’t like it
  2. It makes me feel bad when I drink it
  3. If I drink a lot of it, I pay for it later…
  4. When I drink it, I am supporting BIG SODA and that only hurts the world by helping their success.
  5. Some studies have shown that diet soda drinkers are not generally healthier than drinkers of the HFCS versions.
  6. I am accountable to people on the Ketogenic Forums that I will let down if I drink it!

So it’s just been water, bulletproof tea, and some experimentation with a blender, ice, unsweetened almond milk, heavy cream, and Swerve to make pseudo vanilla shakes/Starbuck vanilla cream frappuccinos. Swerve isn’t in the same category as diet soda, right?

(Becky) #25

I would like to make my own kombucha . I have a Scoby I grew myself. How do I calculate 2% sugar for a one gallon jug?

(Becky) #26

Laughing, here’s to overthinking! I looked up # tbsp in a gallon, 256, did some rough math and concluded that 6 tbsp of sugar would be 2 %. Boiled 6 teabags, added the sugar, let cool to room temp, added my Scoby and topped off the jug with water, covered with a cloth and THEN went to the fridge to read the store bought bottle of GT Gingerade kombucha label…its 2% carbs!

It will take a week or two to know how my batch tastes, but if it is as good as the GT then I will have a steady source of healthy bubbles! But it’s great to know that in a pinch, I can buy kombucha instead of diet soda! Costco has the best price on Kombucha.

(johnp71) #27

My issue was the caffeine. Before keto I primarily drank diet soda and coffee with the occasional water. But I hated water!

I had to kick caffeine too. Maybe that’s part of the problem? Congrats on staying off the juice/soda!

(Ben Davis) #28

Thought I’d give an update here. Been clean since June! Well, pretty much. I tried a refill of Diet Pepsi instead of water that I ordered at a place since it was free, but it was horrible and didn’t like it at all. I had a diet root beer float with Halo Top ice cream in it as a special treat at a German-themed birthday party a few months ago and that was ok as a special thing. Today I got very little sleep and was desperate for caffeine and I don’t drink coffee, so the free soda fridge was my only option. Drinking a Coke Zero Sugar to try to wake me up. It’s not very good. Part of my brain thinks “I remember the sensation of this soda thing, interesting…” but the bigger part says “This really doesn’t taste good.” So definitely not getting back into the habit and, in six months, I call this a continuing victory.

(Brian) #29

You just have to replace the soda with something you will drink.

A lot of people say, “just drink water.” Yeah, right, well, unless you really like water, that dog ain’t gonna hunt.

For me, I had two drinks of choice, #1 sweet tea, and #2 Mountain Dew.

I replaced them with my own homemade spearmint tea sweetened with just a bit of stevia. That worked pretty well for quite a long time.

I’ve kinda gotten away from that now and moved towards a water jug that we keep in the refrigerator that gets a couple of cut up lemons in it every few days. No sweetener or anything else, just the cut up lemons and water. We keep refilling with water when we drink out of it and find that it’s good for a few days before it needs new lemons. I don’t know how good the lemons are for us but I do know that we’ll drink that water before we’ll reach for just plain water almost every time.

Find whatever works for you. Just replace something bad with something good. The universe abhors a vacuum, unless of course, you have a really dirty house… (sorry… the mind wanders sometimes…) LOL!

Good luck!