How to exercise or not exercise when starting Keto?

exercise

(Jared) #1

I’m a 32 year old man who ways 260 pounds. I’ve started Keto as of yesterday to lose weight. Currently I lift twice a week, and do cardio three times a week. I currently don’t feel any different, but I’ve only been eating keto for less then 48 hours so don’t expect to notice any changes yet. I’ve read that I should stop exercising for at least a couple weeks since exercise can delay getting into Ketosis. Assuming this is true how should I know when to start exercising again? Once I do start exercising should I continue to split my time between cardio and weights, or go strictly to weights? I’ve also read that cardio can cause hunger spikes while strength training helps burn fat but am not sure if this is true. APpreciate any info or experiences.

(Edith) #2

Maybe you don’t have to stop exercising. Once your muscle glycogen gets all used up, your muscles will feel like lead until they learn to use fat for fuel. Over time, about eight weeks, give or take, your muscles will start adapting and that feeling of lead will become less and less.

I think it’s fine to keep exercising but don’t push it and don’t expect to be able to do what you did before you made your dietary change. Be understanding of your body and it is says, “Nope, not today!” That’s okay.

(David Brown) #3

I’ve never heard of not exercising when starting keto before. if anything it will get you into keto faster as you’ll burn out your glycogen stores faster. just be prepared that in the next few days you will feel like a zombie and training is very tough. your strength will leave you.

just keep telling yourself its normal and by day 7/8 you should start feeling better every day

(less is more, more or less) #4

I started LCHF June 2017, at 260, with an exercise regimen nearly identical to yours, well, as 23 additional years to age. I never initially changed my routine, and I believe that, for me, it mitigated much of the symptoms I read what others have complained about, such as “keto flu” and other things. I did drink a lot of chicken and beef broth. Since then I now ingest magnesium citrate and Lite salt for electrolytes. I would recommend broth to a neophyte, however.

Now, at 220, I’ve increased my cardio and weights. My joints are far less sensitive now, which is wonderful, and it allows me to push myself a little harder. At 55, I’m not flip about exercising too aggressively, but it is a daily habit I enjoy.

I’m reliably told that weights is better for increasing metabolism, which helps with weight-loss, but I don’t care. So I’m 3-4 days cardio, 2 days weights. If I err, it’s dropping cardio, such as business trips. I know more than a few that are weight or strength only. I don’t believe it matters, as long as you have a habit you enjoy.

LCHF has stopped my hunger issues. I do faintly recall being hungry during transition, but it wasn’t as severe as it was when I was fully carbed up.

Dive in, have fun. Don’t worry about this stuff, it’s never that bad. If it is, you may have a pre-existing medical condition, anyhow, which you shouldn’t ignore.

(less is more, more or less) #5

I have, particularly with people who’s obesity or lack of an exercise regimen could put themselves into harms way. It’s one aspect I appreciate about LCHF, since I know more than a few obese people who legitimately fear exercise. They’ll get there in due time, but it’s not essential to get started. In fact, Dr. Westman plays down the role of exercise with his patients, though he supports my regimen, since he knows I simply enjoy it.

(Running from stupidity) #6

I was walking my 10K steps/day before starting, along with all my normal housework etc (I do it all around here as my wife works and I don’t). Since starting, my steps have gone up to about 15K/day, and I’m doing more housework. Can’t see how it’s been a bad thing.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

It’s common advice on these forums. It just comes from the feeling that becoming fat-adapted is stress enough, and adding exercise on top of it might be too much. Also, some people get really distressed at the initial hit in performance, and they might do better not reminding themselves of it. Most people on these forums find that once they are fully fat-adapted their performance returns to an even higher level than before.

As for me, when I feel like exercising, I simply lie down until the feeling passes . . . . :grinning: :grinning:

That is me!