How to do Keto Research

There’s an easy way to do research on Low Carb dieting that doesn’t require taking a trip to a university library (at least not to start with).

It’s the Google Scholar search engine.

Type in your search criteria, such as "Very Low Carbohydrate Diet".

Back comes 450,000 links. Not all are of equal quality and some are just abstracts but they are generally pretty good and solid sources

The first link that came back was interesting. A Randomized Trial Comparing a Very Low Carbohydrate Diet and a Calorie-Restricted Low Fat Diet on Body Weight and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Healthy Women. From the study conclusions:

Based on these data, a very low carbohydrate diet is more effective than a low fat diet for short-term weight loss and, over 6 months, is not associated with deleterious effects on important cardiovascular risk factors in healthy women.

(Ryan Lindsey) #2

Thanks for the resource! I’ve been looking through scientific studies recently trying to find some that are appropriate to show to my doctor, and this seems better than following the trail of crumbs left by other studies’ references.

The problem that I have looking at “low carbohydrate diets” is two things that are usually true about these studies.

The first is that they typically compare calorie-restricted diets, so if there are normal diets in the study, they lose weight also, and that reduces the apparent benefits of LCHF. Keto done properly shouldn’t be calorie-restricted, as well, except for intentional fasting or not eating because you’re not hungry (which isn’t a restriction, really)

The other is that Low carb isn’t a very clear target, and sometimes the carb amount is too high for ketosis (since they aren’t aiming for ketosis), and isn’t always as beneficial as it could be.

The otherwise great A TO Z study doesn’t list limiting carbs, but does use the Atkins diet, rather than Keto. Also the carbs crept up near the end of the study, which likely corresponds with the weight increase of that diet segment.

(Ryan Lindsey) #3

Specifically referencing the study that you showed, I was very confused when reading the study introduction, where they basically said “we’re comparing a Keto way of eating to a calorie restricted low-fat diet.”

Why on earth did they calorie-restrict the low fat group?

I’m glad they included the macro consumption numbers because when you see the breakdown of carbohydrates before and during the diet, you can see that BOTH “diet” groups reduced their carbohydrate intake!

Even if people weren’t calorie restricted, if you tell them they’re doing a study on diets, they’re probably going to reduce their calorie intake because “I’m on a diet”, and that’s what you do on a diet, of course…

Few studies ask the same questions we have. Good observations about “Low Carb” not being Keto levels. You can search for Very Low Carbohydrate Diet.

Also, Phinney and Volek have studies you can find on there.

“Even if people weren’t calorie restricted, if you tell them they’re doing a study on diets, they’re probably going to reduce their calorie intake because “I’m on a diet”, and that’s what you do on a diet, of course…”

You’re right about his of course…the second I start to log into My fitness pal, even if I have no intention of lowering my food intake at that point, my calorie and carb consumption starts to drop. I never have been able to figure out how much I actually eat on a normal day.

(Janet) #6

Dr Westman recently mentioned that he consider the studies summarized by the PHCUK the best for sharing, With choices in format, inc. infographics. https://phcuk.org/rcts/

Almost easier to ask a question on this forum - greater chance of getting a valid response based upon experience and knowledge rather than opinion from afar.