How to deodorize Instant Pot sealing ring?

(Colin) #1

Hey all,

Does anyone know how to deodorize the rubber sealing ring in the lid? I’ve tried bicarb + white vinegar, and dishwasher, but it still smells!

Thanks in advance!

Good Luck with that! Also, Vinegar is pretty serious crap! I’d be careful using something that acidic on the seal that prevents your Instant Pot from being a grenade! Much easier to just replace the seal when they get crappy. In most cases they never transfer the smell to food though. Not sure of the cost of the IP seals as I switched to the Foodi but I know these ones are cheap as hell, like $10 for 2 of them, can’t see them being any different for the IP, pretty much the same thing.

(Jane) #3

You can get 2 seals for $9 on Amazon for the Instant Pot. So yeah, replace it.

(UsedToBeT2D) #4

Soak it in the garbage can for 30 years.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

They do get odor forced into the silicon. I just cook meat so I don’t worry about it and it’s never created s problem. They just do that. If you make some stuff that it taints for you get a second seal for deserts and yoghurt or whatever is tainted by a meat odor.

(PJ) #6

Mine is smelly too – sufficient pork chili verde and hot red chicken curry have created some, er, bias, in the smells it has retained – but so far, I have not noticed it having any effect on my food. Only on me when I am using the instant pot.

Most people replace them. I bought an extra package of two when I got the IP for eventually and now I can’t find it. It will magically appear once I spend money I don’t have to buy more, probably… :roll_eyes: :rofl:

(GINA ) #7

I replaced mine once, but since I have been storing the lid completely off the pot and upside down so it can get some air it hasn’t smelled at all. Or maybe the new ring is different and is impervious to smells.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

@GME I store mine with the lid upside down too. Or without the seal in the lid I just store the seal separately. :cowboy_hat_face: