How to cook chicken livers to make them taste good?

(Jenny) #1

I’m trying out carnivore and am 1 week in. I want to try chicken liver because if I continue to have success I want to try more parts of the animal (a nose to tail approach) …I remember trying liver as a child and thinking it was horrible and I’m really hesitant to try again. Plus my local store carries these, but I dont know how to prepare them. thanks!

(bulkbiker) #2

Melt butter in frying pan…
trim chicken livers add salt and pepper
fry for 2-3 minutes per side and eat.
delicious… overcooking turns them nasty.
Slightly pink in the middle is best.

(Polly) #3

wrap in pancetta and oven bake.

Delicious!

Also good as chicken liver paté but I realise that may not work for carnivore as the recipe also contains brandy, madeira, onions, herbs and condiments as well as butter and livers.

(Cathy) #4

A word of caution… pink chicken livers are not cooked through and can be risky. I know someone near and dear who was violently ill from eating slightly pink chicken livers. I was the one who told her that that was desirable. Never again!!

“Of all the organs found in the gut of the chicken, the liver is one of the few that is edible. Although liver is considered an excellent source of nutrients, it’s also a power house for toxin storage. The liver’s primary function is to produce bile, which helps with the absorption of dietary fats. Normally, poultry livers range in color from tan to yellow to deep red. The color is determined by what the chicken ate last and doesn’t reflect the age or health of the bird. A green liver, however, is a sign of disease. Green livers are condemned in the slaughterhouse by the United States Department of Agriculture. Cooking chicken livers requires careful handling. To ensure that cooked chicken livers are safe for eating, make sure they are not undercooked, because bacteria can survive in undercooked livers [source: USDA, NZFSA].”

(Susan) #5

I have never cooked chicken livers but my husband loves beef liver and I have cooked that several times. I dip them in egg, cover them in it, then cover them in flour and bread crumbs --so the Keto version would be:

dip in egg, cover in almond or coconut flour, and in crushed pork rinds. then put in oven until cooked, flipping half way through. I cook them at 350 degrees and just check often.

(Boston_guy) #6

Grating frozen liver into hamburger is supposed to be a good way to mask the taste, at about 5% liver…

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Jenny, sometimes you need to just choke awful foods down if you feel the need to eat them! :grin:

But seriously I like Chicken Liver Pate. It’s great broken up a little and scrambled eggs since I am bread free now. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Tony Campbell) #8

Hide the taste??? Nooooooo!!
Liver has always tasted amazing to me. :joy:

(Elizabeth ) #9

Cut in half, wrap in a half slice of thin bacon and secure with a toothpick. Then I bake on parchment in the oven at 350. Or sometimes I’ll air fry them

(Jody) #10

Can Confirm!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

My Mom used to deep fry some awesome chicken livers, gizzards, and hearts… seasoned with salt, and pepper, and rolled in (I know) flour… Not sure how almond meal would work ?

Haven’t eaten them for about 40 years, since she cooked them for me though. I’d try it now, but my GF is freaking out with me just talking about it :grinning: lol

(Susan) #12

@FishChris

You could cook them yourself, following your mom’s recipe, using the Almond or Coconut flour instead =).

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

Yea… I do cook a lot of things, but nowadays, I pretty much only cook for both of us, and my GF was like… Oooh. … I don’t know :grinning: lol … So I don’t know…

Honestly, I still eat enough different stuff, that I think I’m doing okay on nutrients and vitamins. I’d be a little more concerned if I was doing the straight up carnivore diet… which I might actually try someday down the road. But that would be at least 6 months into keto…

(Susan) #14

Oh, okay =). It was just an idea if you really wanted to try it again and she didn’t like the idea, or want to be around it.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #15

Their are definitely times when she is out, and I have to fend for myself, but the next time that happens, I’m going to be yanking out that single 20 oz ribeye :wink: I enjoy red meat more than she does anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

(Susan) #16

Oh, okay, sounds good =).