How to cook and eat beef fat ("suet")

@kaclp I’m so glad that fat is working well for you. I pretty much do the same thing. Mine is frozen and I get it out to eat with my meal. By the time I’m done getting stuff ready to eat it is just right as is, raw and slightly frozen. I prefer grass fed fat too. :+1:

(Kristen Ann) #82

Yes, such a game changer!

(Bob M) #83

So, I’m finally getting back to this topic.

My local “nice” store began getting a bunch of grass-fed (only) beef. Unfortunately, it’s too expensive. Anyway, I asked the butchers what they did with their suet. The don’t have suet, because the beef they get is too small.

The butcher I asked did show where the store had frozen suet, which I did not know they had. I started getting that.

I ate some raw, but it’s too “dry” and difficult to eat.

Last night, I cooked some using the techniques given above. I’ll eat some tomorrow at “lunch” (first meal of day). I’ll let you know how it goes.

Also, this suet is only $2/pound, which isn’t bad, because a lot of suet I see online is $5+/pound. However, my wife wants me to get grass-fed only suet.

Anyone have a good source of (lower priced) suet?

I will also look around locally, as there are some farmers who raise grass-fed only cattle.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #84

Shop-Rite sells beef fat that you can render for suet. Probably not grass-fed, however. What about that farm in Shelton you introduced me to?

(Bob M) #85

The farm doesn’t have any, and she said she didn’t know when they’d have some.

As a technical detail, “suet” is certain fat in the cow, and “tallow” is what you render out of it.

See this for suet:

As with everything cow-related, different places might call different parts of fat from the cow as “suet”. And, I keep asking my wife to get “tallow”, when I mean “suet”. I have a mental block about that.

Anyway, I cooked my suet on 170F for about 2.5 hours, and I also broiled for a few minutes. Then, I put in a glass container and added the liquid on the bottom of the pan to the container. I got way more tallow than I thought I would get, and I put it all in the fridge, and ate the fat/tallow today as part of my lunch. Parts of the fat are still a bit “dry” (chewy), and the tallow was good (and very, very white; ridiculously white; I wish my teeth looked like that!).

Brad from Fire in a Bottle says that suet (from grass-fed cows; not sure what I’m getting) is high in saturated fat.

So, I’m still trying a high(er) saturated fat intake, though I’m trying with less dairy, to remove that as a factor.

(Edith) #86

The local farm where I get some grass fed beef sells only the tallow, not the suet. It’s weird but I like the suet cooked up and its renderings much better than adding already rendered tallow to food. Maybe it was just the brand I initially bought. It seemed very grainy. Melted suet is divine.

(Bob M) #87

It also could be that the tallow is made (rendered) from any fat, but suet is (or should be) very specific fat. I have a big container of tallow, and it’s somewhat “watery” and grainy too, but I bet the fat I rendered from the suet will be hard at room temp. I’ll try that this weekend.

The hardness comes from the saturated fat, and I think the tallow I bought has more MUFA/PUFA. It’s not THAT watery, but it’s not as hard as I think fat rendered solely from suet should be.

(Alex) #88

After reading your post on fat ratios I tried upping my animal fat intake so i was at 2:1 and noticed a huge improvement in my mood and energy, so thank you!

I’m impatient so I’ve been airfrying my beef fat, but a lot renders out so i’ll give low and slow a go after seeing so many people succeeding with it.

I stumbled on April Ihly’s episode on the ketowoman podcast where she talks about the difference going to a 2:1 fat(g):protein(g) made and it was really interesting. Amber O’Hearn’s keto AF episode was awesome also. I’m still a little scared of all the fat but already starting to crave it after a week!

(Ivy) #89

I like my tallow cold + raw.

Anyone else eat it like this?

(Bob M) #90

That’s the way I’ve been eating mine, too, when I eat it.