How To Clean Surface 'Rust' From Stainless Steel

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

I have a very nice and expensive stainless steel Breville kettle. Performance-wise, I’m quite satisfied, although I wish it had 5-degree increments rather than 10. But that’s not a biggie. And I do have a biggie!

After using the kettle for less than a year, it started to develop what looked like concentric rings of little round rust spots around 3/4 of the periphery of the bottom. “Stainless steel!” I thought, “how can this happen?”

After some investigation, I discovered that the rust was not the stainless steel. It was mineral, mostly iron, precipitaion from water evaporating as the kettle air dried. I had made the mistake of not drying the kettle thoroughly between uses, but had just emptied it and let the remaining water evaporate. Not such a good idea.

So how to get that out? Could I get it out? Yes, I could use steel wool and scratch the hell out of the bottom of the kettle which would make the bottom virtually impossible to wipe dry and increase exponentially the surface area available for yet more iron precipitation. So my search was on for a non-abrasive and relatively gentle cleaner.

I’ll cut directly to the chase. After trying vinegar and Easy Off, neither of which did squat. My wife googled ‘pa ruskie’ and found some simple home remedies. Baking soda paste, wiped around with a sponge and allowed to sit for an hour made a marked improvement. But looked like it was going to take a lot more repetitions to do the job than I wanted to expend. I followed this with a toothpaste wipe again with a sponge. OK! That’s progress. Judging by the degree of reduction, my guess is that it’s going to take another 1/2 dozen or so repetitions with toothpaste to get the precipitation out completely. I can do that over the course of the next few days as I use the kettle.

PS: Easy Off is a great cleaner for coffee stained glass.

A little clay mixed with water becomes electrically active in a way due to cation exchange - and it works to remove iron oxides by ADsorbing them.

I only learned this last week when I spontaneously took some of my living clay from the jar and used it with a scrubber cloth as my final attempt to remove significant iron oxide staining of a special vintage plate I’d used as a drainage tray for a plant in a metal can, etc. I’d previously used - at different times - straight white vinegar soaking, baking soda, bon ami, lemon juice, ACV with only minor improvements.

The liquid clay worked thoroughly, and quickly! I used the calcium bentonite/montmorrillonite I had on hand - but I’d think any true clay would work. Small packets of simple clays can be found in the body care area of natural stores these days, and it’s sometimes in the bulk dept too. The liquid clay does to metallic stains what Goo Gone and straight orange essential oil due to sticky residues etc.

(Windmill Tilter) #3

If it’s on the exterior, get yourself some Naval Jelly. I restore century old woodworking tools, and that stuff eats rust for breakfast!

If its on the interior, use some Barkeepers Friend.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

What about CLR?

(Windmill Tilter) #5

I forgot about stuff. That works really well too. :+1:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #6

I just removed this junk covering the spout. I have no idea what useful purpose this was supposed to serve, but it prevented draining the water completely from the kettle.

Since my work schedule has changed such that I am starting work at 7 most days, I’ve modified my morning keto coffee prep. My previouis prep required 1/2 hour plus, which is too long. The new prep involves heating the cold brew coffee in my Breville kettle rather than a hot water bath in a pot on the stove (5 minutes rather than 20 minutes to 185°F. This is likely to require more kettle maintenance so I’m looking at alternatives that use a glass carafe, which would be easier to keep clean.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

I may resort to that if the toothpaste doesn’t do the job. There is a specific CLR formulation for stainless steel.

(Bunny) #8

One little caveat about removing rust after using all these harsh things is neutralizing (not so well known) it with alcohol (prevents further oxidation) after cleaning.

Excellent website on how to clean stainless steel:

(Marianne) #9

Baking soda is a miracle cleaner - and natural. It is the best thing I have every used to clean an oven. Works great on stained cookie sheets, cookware, glass fry pan lids, and the glass on the oven door. Never found anything that would touch that before.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

I ended up buying this today:

Result:

(kitcheniest) #11

You can find here 5 Easy Ways To Clean Stainless Steel Pans