How to buy your first Kettlebell

(Michael Boggs) #1

(Kettlebells came up on my SL5x5 post, so I thought people might find this useful. As usually, I highly recommend getting proper training in using kettlebells before attempting).

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #2

I second the emphasis on form. You can really hurt yourself with improper form on kettlebells. I super strongly recommend these dvds. There are 4 different workouts but more importantly she goes over the proper form in great detail. As far as the workouts themselves, she is very no nonsense, no “kettlebell bunnies” in the background or weird music. Very plain and focused on form.

https://www.amazon.com/Iron-Core-Kettlebell-Sarah-Lurie/dp/B005FRWTSO

(Joe Chalakee) #3

As a RKC and SFG certified Kettlebell instructor I would suggest you find someone who is certified. DVD and YouTube can’t tell you what you are doing wrong. Most if not all DVDs are follow alongn workouts. They do not show or teach how to do the Swing, Snatch or any other technique. I had clients come to me after being self taught and find out they don’t know who to train with kettlebells safely.

Kettlebells are a great workout if used correctly.

(ketohealthclub) #4

I bought my kettle bell online and did my workouts along with the videos made by a certified instructor. I’m planning to get back to it now that I’m on a good, healthy path.

(Dustin Ewers) #5

I get my 'bells from Amazon.

I have bunch of these Cap Kbs and they are fantastic:
https://www.amazon.com/CAP-Barbell-Cast-Kettlebell-Black/dp/B00WHIGJXA/

I also love the caution tape that accompanies a 50 or 70 lb kettlebell when it comes in the mail.

For books, I recommend these two:

Pavel is THE dude when it comes to kettlebells. He popularized them in the US:
https://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Pavel-Tsatsouline/dp/0989892409/

This book has a long list of basic KB exercises:
https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Kettlebells-Workbook-Revolutionary-Strengthen/dp/1569758743/

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #6

While I agree in person instruction is always best (I got mine from a physical therapist and AOS certified kettlebell instructor) it was that knowledge that led to my endorsement of the Iron Core set. Already knowing what was proper form and technique was invaluable in vetting that.
tl;dr if your glutes don’t feel it, you’re probably doing it wrong.

(barrytspencer) #7

Here’s a couple of good videos

Pavel Tsatsouline Kettlebells

Pavel Tsatsouline - Return of the Kettlebell

(Terri) #8

I want to learn how to do snatches properly. How do you recommend finding an instructor?

(Joe Chalakee) #9

Go to dragondoor.com or strongfirst.com both have a database of certified instructors. Do a search by zip code to find the closed to you.

(In a #ketomarriage with @peggaloon) #10

Kettlebells are the bomb! Mine is only 5kg though! LOL!

Bum out, boobs out, flat back, and push through the hips is how I do a swing

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #11

If you don’t look a little dirty, you’re doing it wrong. :grin::stuck_out_tongue:

(David) #12

He did a terrific podcast on Tim Ferris’ show. Well worth a listen. “Sissies!”

(Nathanael Schulte) #13

That was my own experience. I had the Enter The Kettlebell book and DVD, and then found a local RKC trainer in 2011 (before the RKC/SFG split) and having someone else critique my form. It made all the difference in the world. At this point my wife is a certified HKC, so,I think we’ve got the form down to the point where we can generally feel if it’s wrong, but we wouldn’t have gotten there without some good time with a trainer first. It’s worth the money!

(Nathanael Schulte) #15

Honestly, I found Enter the Kettlebell in book and DVD very entertaining, that’s why I picked the book up out of all the weight training books on the shelf at Borders :slight_smile:

(Nathanael Schulte) #16

Geoff Neupert is also first rate. I have a lot of his stuff, including the Kettlebell Strong set, which is a book and a couple DVDs.

(Ian Dalton) #17

Aldi are having another sale of their Kettlebells, e.g. 16 kg for $35 or 12 Kg for $25 commencing 8:30 am on Saturday 17th of June until all stock is sold, as well as all the other paraphernalia such as Dumbbells & 10 kg Weight vests.