How to avoid too much protein on carnivore?

Ok let me get this right :slight_smile: :wink:

You started Keto in April. Only lost 6.

First off I have no clue what your keto menu consists of and how you were eating…you didn’t know if you were really in ketosis or not.

Now you got a keto reader. I don’t know what this is cause I just don’t know the gadgets out there, is this strips?

First on ketones…if you are using the strips, they will not detect ketones the same way like a blood meter.

If you did strict keto you were in ketosis, and walking into carnivore if you use the strips your ketones will not register the same as a newbie just starting ketosis.

Strips measure like one kind of ketone. They are rampant when starting ketosis.

If you ARE in ketosis from your time on keto before, then now your strips will not register like they did before. When you are in ketosis a longer time period, you truly need a blood meter to get a true reading. Ketones burn different in your body the longer you are in ketosis.

Like me, 2 yrs on carnivore and one day I bought some ketone strips as a joke. I barely turned the thing the slightest pink LOL it basically said I was not in ketosis and heck I know I hadn’t eaten any friggin’ carbs for years LOL So…….does what I wrote apply to you maybe?
just guessing since I don’t know your back story on it all.

(Elizabeth ) #42

I think she’s using the blood meter, but I would suspect that there was carb creep which is why she only lost 6 lb since April? Could be a lot of reasons. I would wait and retest but you’re going to need to make sure that you’re eating 75 to 80% fat because carnivore diet while it is ketogenic is going to be mild ketosis which is described as anything from 0.5 up You’re not going to get those super high numbers unless you’re eating 80 to 90% fat.

(traci simpson) #43

Yes, keto since April. Ate pretty well. Lots of meat and butter cheese some keto treats that I made every now and then and then and occasionally I had either a piece of birthday cake or something but I never went days off the keto plan. I have like I said a piece a cake or something once every two weeks or something like that but I still did not lose any weight. I only needed to lose about 20 pounds to begin with and Ive always What out and I have not stopped, nor will I stop. So I went to the chiropractor who is this what’s Chiropractor, and he said you’re not in ketosis by a blood glucose monitor or a blood Keytone monitor. So that’s what I did, I did not use P strips only the blood glucose monitor and it says 0.3 which is not ketosis. what out and I have not stopped, nor will I stop. So I went to the chiropractor who is a sports chiropractor, and he said you’re not into doses by a blood glucose monitor or blood keto monitor. So that’s what I did, I did not use P strips only the blood glucose monitor and it says 0.3 which is not ketosis. Today though when I hopped on the scale, I was 2 pounds down!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #44

I would say, however, that anyone who smells of ammonia is probably eating too much protein, because their urea cycle is getting overwhelmed. But other than that, I tend to feel that too much protein is not worth worrying about. Prof. Bikman feels that higher protein intake is necessary for combatting the inevitable muscle loss as we age, and Dr. Naiman is on record as saying that “too much protein isn’t even a thing.” How right they are may be open to further debate at this point, yet I suspect that they are right to encourage us not to worry about our protein intake.

We are so used to hearing “weight” used as a euphemism for “fat” that we tend to forget that losing muscle and bone weight is not good for our health. It’s fat that we want to lose, really, not mere weight.

(Elizabeth ) #45

A piece of cake every week or two definitely would bring you out of ketosis every single time. :roll_eyes:

see to me I never saw that listed as eating too much protein from any sites I googled on too much protein…and that list usually IS about a SAD eater, so it isn’t a protein person…it is an everything eater just eating too much protein…

It is the person is not drinking enough water and are dehydrated and their urine is concentrated.

Agreed, I might have worded that a bit wrong in that you never have to worry about too much protein…I am sure there is that .001% of someone out there that could have serious issues. I don’t know LOL

Agreed on the weight/fat wording. I hear you on that. It does clarify best if we use the right words on some things. I follow you.

Ok I kinda got a gist of it all :slight_smile:

thing is cheese can effect people very wildly different. cheese can stop weight loss for many. dairy has issues for a lot so that could be a direct issue from eating lots of…….butter…it could be you are adding in way too much ‘extra’ fat when not needed? only say this in that the meat you should be concentrating on is the heavy guys like ribeye, well marbled fattier cuts etc. So if you are eating the heavier hitters like this AND slathering on the butter in the end you are almost in fat overload.

Keto treats. could easily be the whole reason no good loss, you aren’t feeling in ketosis or you aren’t getting a good hold in benefits from the plan. Thing is with treats they can be all over the place in what you do decide is a treat. And it could be monkeying easily with your system, so…hmm on that one.

Then a little real cake and sugar and all thrown in sporadically. I get that but with all that I mentioned you never could have been in any great keto adaption at all on how you ate…but I am not sure on that cause I obviously don’t know how all you ate :slight_smile:

So you are on day 4 of carnivore so just hold the line and don’t waiver.
You will hit into ketosis definitely. You have to LOL cause there is no other option at all for your body.

You truly need time and if you just wait and hold as do the plan as required I know you will be ok, get into good ketosis definitely and if you find you are ok with this way of eating, might continue longer and see more and more benefits.

(Elizabeth ) #48

The protein issue usually only comes into play when somebody is diabetic.

(Konata) #49

But what about protein and MTOR, and the risk of cancer?

(traci simpson) #50

Thanks. I don’t eat too many keto treats now as I did on the beginning. It just makes me want more sweets.

Above 0.5mmol/l people tend to feel the effects of nutritional ketosis and then continue to chase that good feeling. So it’s nice to get in that range.

0.3 mmol/l of ketones (bhb) means you are producing ketones.

That means some good things such as low insulin and converting either dietary fat or body fat to energy to fuel your body.

If that is a morning reading, also test it at night before bed and hopefully a few hours after eating and compare the two results.

(traci simpson) #53

I usually measure about an hour after eating.

The key is to be consistent with when you measure to get a real grasp on what the monitor says and how that relates to how you feel.

Usually doing a mental body scan can help, or at least be interesting.

Say if I check a fasting blood glucose and blood ketone reading in the morning, I ask, Now, FrankOBear are you hungry? FrankOBear are you tired? FrankOBear why are you talking to yourself in the 3rd bearson? FrankOBear is bearson even a word? FrankOBear do you feel like going for a surf? FrankOBear do you have any aches or pains? FrankOBear it’s time for coffee. With double cream? Great idea FrankOBear ( note: mindful body scans will vary from practitioner to practitioner )

too funny.

but shouldn’t these be reversed…find out if you have aches and pains before hitting the surf? hey just looking out for ya. Your third bearson didn’t know your first bearson might have pains and is saying lets surf before we know if we ache or not today HA

(Edith) #56

I don’t think measuring only one hour after eating is the best time to test ketones. I would suggest morning to get an AM baseline or maybe right before eating a meal. The body is still processing food an hour after eating.

Edit: this may help