How statistics work

(Joey) #1

… a helpful reminder:

(Alec) #2

Outstanding! That’s gotta be a joke pic, though, right? There isn’t anybody that stupid, is there?

(Allie) #3

Yes… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I learned at some point in my life that we never should think that there is a stupidity level a human can’t reach… Sometimes it’s unbelievable but yes, there are such stupid people.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Of course it’s a joke pic, obviously posed, and . . .

. . . of course there are people who are that stupid. (If you are in any doubt, go check out the Darwin Awards site.) :grin:

agree with Paul on this one and yea, that was a funny pic. I laughed on it.
See if our big Mega Cab truck needed pushing, I would have hubby behind it and me up there and my kiddo at the wheel…HAHA

(Joey) #7

Good question!

Although I’m pretty sure the text and circle were a joke, I can’t speak to whether the guy on the flatbed knew anything about statistics.

(Bob M) #8

There was a Twitter thread of these. Here’s one I remember:

Here’s one not in that thread (it’s not visual), but it’s funny nonetheless:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

You can’t beat XKCD!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Thank you all for causing me to lose two hours of my life looking up statistics memes, lol! :grin:

Here are my favourites of what I found:

Nice ones :smiley:

Homoscedasticity? Word to learn for me today? Yesterday it was indemnify.

I read the definition but didn’t understand it yet. Maybe later, I am tired and sleepy now.
Never liked learning about statistics, I enjoyed that I didn’t need to study very much for my exams but computer statistics was different and studying for comp stat 2 took 3 WEEKS and I was just happy I didn’t fail. We lacked the necessary math to understand it, you see. Only the mathematician students got it. We were experimental “let’s skip most of the maths!” programmers.

(Robin) #12

Well worth losing some sleep. I’m moving to the Sun.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

It means that the variation between data points is uniform, as opposed to heteroscedaticity, where it is not uniform. The ‘c’ is pronounced as ‘k’, and the words are sometimes spelt “homoskedasticity” and “heteroskedasticity,” for that reason.

Don’t worry; I had to look it up, too.

(Joey) #14

From my college days, I do recall heteroscedasticity. Homoscedasticity, however, was not as widely discussed. I’m pleased to see we’ve become more progressive about non-normative data patterns in modern times.

(Alec) #15

I remember these terms from my college days (a looooonnnnnnngggggggg time ago!). But I was majoring in econometrics, and mathematical economists are turned on by long words that mean nothing to the average person. :joy::joy::crazy_face:

(Allie) #16

Me too.

I read a definition but these things alone aren’t clear for me yet. Statistics isn’t my language. I had a lazy day so I haven’t searched for a lengthier explanation yet.

I never saw this word either… But I know the words it is from, it’s something :smiley: I only understood the “homo” from homoscedasticity :smiley:

I am more suited to terms like poliominid goligon. I have read about them in Science (I was a minor and I have read such journals, OMG. how far I have fallen. I have some smart books but they are mostly gifts or I bought them when young) and I even wrote a simple program to find small ones ages ago… And I throw it around whenever I can. Words for a poem challenge, demoscene group name idea… The poems were great, I hanged out with a nice bunch of people at that time. Now I am a hermit remembering more glorious times.

(Joey) #18

Ah, been there … done that. :nerd_face: