How should I score Truvia?

(Richard I Houghton) #1

I drink 4-5 cups of coffee with two packets of Truvia each every day. I noticed that each packet is recorded as 3 grams of carbs in CRON-O Meter. Four cups of coffee results in 24 grams of carbs! Clearly, something is off.

Should I ignore the Truvia carbs in CHRON-O-Meter? Should I include a percentage of it?

I am losing weight slowly but the trend is to lower weight.

Truvia is a combination of Stevia extract and Erythritol.

(Ethan) #2

This really depends on the person. Erythritol is often viewed as near-zero carbs. So, many people would reduce the 3g to 0g. However, some people have an insulin/glucose response to Erythritol. Those people would not score it at 0g. Stevia has no carbs, but it may or may not trigger an insulin response.

(Richard I Houghton) #3

If I score it, I am above my daily 20 grams carbs. But I am slowly losing weight so maybe I should count 20% or so just in case my metabolism uses it to stimulate insulin.

(Siobhan) #4

Where did you hear about the erythritol stimulating insulin/glucose? Every single study I have read on it demonstrates it cannot be absorbed, period, and does not stimulate insulin/glucose.
Genuinly curious.
Are you talking about people who experience cravings from it?

(Richard I Houghton) #5

Siobhan,
I don’t claim that I heard it anywhere.

I don’t know why CRON-O Meter says it has 2 grams of carbs in one packet. I like to use it and will continue as long as I am not hurting my efforts to lose weight. My understanding is that 90% or so is immediately absorbed by the small intestine and excreted in the urine. Most of the rest goes out the bowels. I have checked further since I posted and can find no reason why the 2 carbs per packet exists. It should be zero.

(Siobhan) #6

Some count sugar alcohols even though they cant be absorbed in erythritols case.

Interesting, Cronometer even includes Truvia as being Net Carbs. Shrug. I guess it’s because they don’t have a sugar alcohol category. I would just ignore that for daily totals.

(Ethan) #8

Some studies indicate that sweet things in general can cause some insulin response

(Richard I Houghton) #9

Thanks, everyone.