How often do you use meal replacement (shakes, powders, bars, etc)?

For a while I frequently drank either the Atkins Advantage Royal Dark Chocolate Shakes or Primier Protein Chocolate shakes (sometimes Atkins Advantage Milk Chocolate Delight because they were on sale, but didn’t taste as good, or the Morning whatever chocolate one, which was pretty good but they don’t carry around here anymore). Mostly this was to deal with two issues that I had early on: Getting enough protein (easy extra 15 - 30 g) and getting enough potassium (they have a decent bit, but there are better ways).

Often, this wasn’t even a meal replacement so much as a meal supplement or drink with a meal since I didn’t have much problem keeping my calories down, I had problems hitting my goals for protein and potassium. Though, sometimes I’ve used them as “meal replacements” as they were simply easy, quick, on the go keto foods I could carry around.

I still from time to time pick up the Royal Dark Chocolate Atkins shakes when they are on sale, since I like them (don’t care for any other flavors much), but I don’t drink them every day. I use one when I feel I need something extra and don’t have many other good options around. I’ve dropped the Premier Protein even though it’s cheaper and has more protein (but doesn’t taste as good) because I’m less concerned about getting so much protein after reading some of Dr. Fungs blogs as well as information from other sources that indicated I probably didn’t really need my protein goals to be so high. I have mixed feelings about the kinds of protein in the shakes, but it hasn’t seemed to be a problem for me and I get the same stuff in the cheese I eat I imagine, so it works (for me).

I have none in the house right now because my local store that I usually would get them from has had low supply of Royal Dark lately and I used up my last one earlier this week (a case of 4 can last anywhere from a few days to a few months, depending on how things are going).

The bars I tried once, but they weren’t super appealing and when I checked what they actually had in them, I didn’t really trust them. Had some random powder at one point, but it tasted too horrid.

(chris) #22

I am currently trying out all the different flavors right now for Ketochow and they taste like melted ice cream I have tried rich chocolate which was okay and cookies and cream which was amazing. Last night I had chocolate fudge which had a salty taste to it. I have Strawberry Blast, Gourmet Vanilla, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Snickerdoodle left to try but these are powder mixes that you add heavy cream/whipping cream to and water then shake it up. I make my drinks for 670 calories and 5.4g of net carbs for a full meal that keeps me full for 5/6 hours. The powder is just mixed in with whatever amount of cream for your desired amount of calories.

(Michelle) #23

Quest is the top of the industry in labeling, meaning what you see is what you get. All the others pretty much suck. Canola oil, palm oil, enriched wheat flour. It’s all bad.

(Omar Newsome) #24

I can honestly say that since turning back to keto I haven’t had a need for protein shakes or meal replacements. I actually have not purchased supplements of any kind in 4 months. The few times I have used whey has been with some high fat goodies to pad my intake for the day, mostly after training based on how I feel.

(ryancrawcour) #25

So, at 330lbs and 39% body fat, that gives me about 100lbs of body fat. How many days could I fast in theory?