How negligible (or not) is the potato starch in all shredded cheeses?

(icky) #13

Yeah, but under 1 carb is still pretty negligible…

(Annalee Haley) #14

Sam’s Club in Arkansas has a 5 pound bag that is 100% cheese without anticaking agents. It is not with the cheese in the open cases. It is in the refrigerated section. It is a full fat mozz.

Otherwise place it in the freezer for a bit prior to shredding with a good food processor.

I shred all other cheeses myself.

(less is more, more or less) #15

Sigh, I wish. I may have 4 - 8 portions of whatever throughout the day, (those damn sneaky carbs are in so many things) and find myself almost half-way to 20 grams.

(Alec) #16

We make shredded cheese and add the anti-caking agent (starch). In theory it should be “negligible”, but on keto if you are having multiple serves, I would avoid it.

Much better to buy a block and do your own shredding. It is much cheaper, you will get better quality cheese, and you avoid the starch.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #17

True, but if you scan the bar code into a tracker like MFP and up the serving size, the carb count will be evident.

(less is more, more or less) #18

tl;dr: I’ve had a huge wake up call on my diet and creeping carbs, no thanks to MFP, more accurately, thanks to Cronometer.

As you know, I’m a long-term user of MFP (2011) I’m checking out Cronometer. I’m shocked at how slack MFP is at recording carbs. MFP follows the labels, Cronometers uses two national databases that do not round down carb values. Surprising difference.

(Annalee Haley) #19

Chronometer found my carb creep as well… and I thought I was so careful.

(Aimee Moisa) #20

What two databases?

(less is more, more or less) #21

I’m wrong, they use more for sources: https://cronometer.com/help/foods/

(Michelle) #22

If you shred your own you can shred an exact amount, and you won’t be like me - tempted to grab a big pinch and throw it in my mouth!

(Aimee Moisa) #23

Luckily I prefer my cheese melted so it usually doesnt go straight into my mouth, unless it is cheddar, or jack, or gouda, or havarti, or edam, or muenster or… aw carbage. They all taste good and they all go straight in my mouth.

How negligible (or not) is the potato starch in all shredded cheeses?

Are you kidding me? How did I not know this? Fortunately, I am a long time diy cheese shredder but I had no idea they did this to cheese.

(Chris Robertson) #25

The colder motzrelle is the easier it is to shred without making a mess.

(icky) #26

Hmm, yeah, I realise, but not everyone does the same degree of “strictness” on Keto.

So if I eat one serve or less of shredded cheese per day, then I’m not going to worry about the 1 carb, for the convenience of having it pre-shredded.

Good on everyone who shreds their own cheese, but the question was how much of a problem the potato starch in shredded cheese is and I would say the answer depends on “how many serves do you eat per day” and “how strict do you keto” and “how many other (trace) carbs do you eat”.

As long as someone’s on track with their carb count, I don’t see any problem in using pre-shredded cheese.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #27

I also think it matters if what your making also has more carbs. For instance the thread recientlu on qasadillas. If you’re adding low carb tortillas and some more carby veggies like onions and green peppers and guacamole, sour cream and salsa… all these have some level of carbs. On their own they may be incidental but added up they could bust your carb limit. And it may be helpful to shred your own cheese.

(Marta Loftfield) #28

@ketorevo did a test on potato starch YMMV

(Tina Emmons) #29

I found some full fat this week that was “low-moisture” and it shredded well. I also tried slicing to put on keto pizza cuz I was too lazy to clean the grater(lol) and it melted very nicely.

(Tina Emmons) #30

Another point on this topic is I believe they don’t have to list the flour or starches as an “ingredient” because it’s used in the “processing” like chlorine in packaged veggies.:roll_eyes:

I don’t know where Dr. Berry got his information from, or when he posted this, but I wanted to throw in a minor point here. In the US, here’s the rule on rounding, which differs a bit from the video and your numbers above. Not a big deal, of course, but for the sake of accuracy…

https://www.fda.gov/iceci/inspections/inspectionguides/ucm114098.htm

(less is more, more or less) #32

Thanks for posting this!