How much do you eat?

(Edith) #1

@Elizedge posted an interesting link about how not eating enough on zero carb actually caused someone to gain weight.

For all you carnies out there, how much do you eat per day, along with your sex (male or female, not quantity :wink:), age, and activity level?

(Elizabeth ) #2

F age 63 pretty sedentary 2.5-3 lbs a day, I wasnā€™t losing weight when I ate 2 lbs. Now I am :slight_smile: No dairy or eggs.

I think Iā€™m what is called dirty carnivore (I have coffee w/cream, alt-sweetener, and a square of dark chocolate - none of those things seem to mess me up). Iā€™m recently coming back to this after a few months. Other than the cream, the above items prevent me from being full-on carnivore, but Iā€™m answering this anyway, to share my experience in case itā€™s helpful. :slight_smile:

I track out of curiosity and to learn about myself.

Besides those above items, I eat about 1-1.5lbs of meat and eggs (mostly beef). Sometimes thereā€™s some cheese added. After looking at what I typed below, I think Iā€™m usually closer to the 1 lb range, which is interesting since that seems low.

Today this is what I ate.
8 oz hamburger (1 oz cream cheese on top)
6 oz steak
3 slices of bacon which might be 1 oz???
so thatā€™s 15 oz of meat (1 oz short of a pound) - that total doesnā€™t include the cream cheese

Iā€™ve been wondering if I should eat more but Iā€™m really not hungry for more, and as of this morning it looks like I lost 2-3 of the 5 lbs I recently gained (from what I believe was not enough protein, way too much fat, and non-carn treat foods)ā€¦ā€¦ so I guess itā€™s ok!

Iā€™m F 39, 5ā€™3" and as of this morning 128 lbs. Hard to say activity. The only activity Iā€™m getting lately is playing in a band (keys) which is a few hours a week on Thurs/Sundays and itā€™s pretty energetic -standing up/kinda dancing while playing - but IDK!

(Edith) #4

Iā€™m 53 and 5ā€™3ā€ and currently relatively sedentary due to being in a car accident a few weeks ago. As soon as I eat only meat, my appetite goes way down. I canā€™t seem to intermittent fast with keto, but I sure can with carnivore. I thinking Iā€™m getting about 1.5 pounds a day. (I should measure to make sure.) I canā€™t seem to eat more than that.

Are you hungry for that much meat?

(Edith) #5

I actually call myself keto carnivore because I do use some seasoning on my meat and I eat berries sometimes. I also cook keto meals for my kids, so if I taste test calling myself keto carnivore keeps me from stressing about ā€œcheating.ā€

wow Virginiaā€¦so sorry to hear about your accident. Hoping you are recovering well and doing ok.

F, age 58, 5ā€™8

100% carnivore for yearsā€¦every now and then a dirty carnivore if on vacation I take a bite of a giant Bavarian pretzel my daughter offers me, or I eat some fancy jerky I buy at a gift shop that has more sugar in it that I would ever normally eat. I never truly go off plan. A bite is as much as I will ever allow, and that is even rare.

I love Cherylā€™s challenge. It took those little dirty carnivore days away from me and I am grateful for that :slight_smile:

More I eat the better the lbs. lost. I have about 30-40 left I want gone and right now I am down 16 lbs. of thatā€¦so happy with that happening.

I usually eat 2-3 lbs per day. Do best on beef.
When I hit into a true not hungry time I eat a little chicken and seafood mostly. Then I just wait for my appetite to come back and when it does I know I am easily 2 lbs. no problem, maybe push into that 3 lb. mark.

Activity/energy is thru the roof. I hike up mountains, bike, kayak, swim, and just move. I donā€™t ā€˜do gymā€™ or anything. I just move and move all the time. Outdoor things.

(Elizabeth ) #7

I usually twice a day and I eat until I canā€™t eat one more bite. That winds up being at least a pound sometimes a pound and a half each time.

Iā€™m female, and 63. Iā€™d say I eat around 1 to 1.5 pounds of meat/fat a day, mostly around 1 pound. With this 2 to 1 fat to protein ratio I get super full and canā€™t eat anymore than that.

(Edith) #9

Thanks. Itā€™s muscle soreness and a slight concussion. Itā€™s hard to take it easy with a concussion when you have teenagers that need to go places and a husband that travels.

(Edith) #10

Well, maybe Iā€™ll give that a try and see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

Wow, I sure hope you can recover quickly!! :heart:

(Ashley) #12

I donā€™t think there is a certain amount you should eat, thereā€™s guidelines. But most women I tend to see around 1.5lbs and do fine. Some eat more and do fine. Some days people eat 2lbs some days 1lbs. I think eat until full, your body will say itā€™s had enough. Some do better on less some better on more. In the beginning of more carnivore I thought I had to eat a bunch, and some days I do eat more and some less. I donā€™t worry as I let my body decide.

Interestingā€¦I have a week or carnivore coming up next week, my period, so I will definitely have to up my meat portions :slight_smile:

Also depends how long on plan.

Beginners into this find they want to eat more and then all of the sudden we shift down in amt of food and then you might ramp back up.

Longer on plan one tends to ā€˜find their spotā€™ and thrive.

That is the overall nice occurrence in carnivoreā€¦eat what suits you when you need it. So important, truly listen to what the body is asking.

(Elizabeth ) #15

Exactly, the last few days instead of eating two big meals I havenā€™t been quite as hungry at each meal so Iā€™m eating three meals of roughly 12 to 14 oz each. :grin:

Yup. I sure understand that!

You know it is wild cause in the beginning when I was not ā€˜that hungryā€™ I felt I should ā€˜eat somethingā€™ cause it was not normal in my brain to be ā€˜kinda not hungryā€™ and not feed myselfā€¦lol

Old days eating crap I would always eat something when I felt a twinge of hunger cause, well I could LOL and I never wanted to get myself too hungry cause then I would inhale a ton of crap foodā€¦so eating something in my tiny sugar crazed brain I thought I could ā€˜tameā€™ it before I got out of handā€¦well ya know that didnā€™t workā€¦I would eat a little crap and just want more and more.

We never fed our bodies with true nutrition. Our bodies are starving and yet are eating a gazillion lbs. of food constantly yet we are hungry all that time feeling our bodies ā€˜need somethingā€™, and a sluggy tired feeling, have med troubles, obesity, brain fog, take OTC and supplements to fix what is wrong with us and it doesnā€™t work and just a horrible life in a world with SO MUCH food at our fingertips.

It is insanity LOL and I was sure part of it.

Now when I get a twinge of I might be getting hungry I say 2 things to myself. How hungry are yaā€¦enough to cook up a big steak right now? or just wait a while til I REALLY want to go into the kitchen and cook up a big steak? haha

Food in my life was frantic. That is all gone on carnivore for me. Food is calming and peaceful. I never had that but with carnivore I do.

I love chatting out carnivore stuff :slight_smile: