How many here are former vegans or former vegetarians?

(Brian) #1

I am curious about something. I wasn’t sure if I could do a poll on this forum but I wondered how many of us have been either vegan or vegetarian that no longer are?

It seems to be something I’ve noticed several people comment about but I don’t have a real feel for just how widespread that might be.

I was raised as a vegetarian and spent several years as a vegan before going carnivore. I still eat plenty of veggies. I even have some vegetarian (and occasionally vegan) meals. But I do eat some meats and some animal products, and like a few others, am rather picky about what.

Curious, mostly. Not wanting to start a peeing contest or make anyone feel lesser if they’re different, not at all. It’s just something I wondered about. Feel free to tell what led you to change if you’d like. There is no wrong answer. :slight_smile:

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

I feel like I have Keto “figured out”. I’m at my goal weight, able to quickly get back on track after cheating, etc. So now I’m in that experiment stage to find a sense of optimization. I thought about trying lacto-ovo vegetarianism Keto. Then I read about carnivore/zero carb and thought that sounded like a much better experiment.

(Marie Dantoni) #3

I was vegetarian for 4 years in the late 60’s- early 70’s. I ate a lot of vegetables, fruit, bread, butter, cheese, and pasta. I gained at an amazing clip. Never again.

Have been vegetarian for past 2-3 years, vegan was just too deep for me. I actually didn’t mind it - but In August 2017 I made a one year committment to reduce weight and was approaching it from a CICO approach. Then I found dietdoctor.com and everything changed! A lot!! So I made a conscious decision to return to meat based diet. When health benefits such as lowered blood pressure/improved circulation and energy to name the top ones became more of a priority - so did meatatarianism :blush:. However, as I continue to have a weight loss objective, I feel it will be much more efficient using animal protein/fat - alterating with IF/EF. This comes from the fact that I seem to be quite sensitive to the effects of dairy based proteins and they stall out my weight loss. Once I have reached ‘goal’ I will likely re-evaluate. I know vegetarian keto can be done and will likely give it a try…later.

(Sondra Rose) #5

I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 14 years in my 20s and 30s. Got sick all the time and had IBS due to gluten-intolerance. Not fun.

Plus, I was one of those holier-than-thou types, so not fun for other people. :frowning:

Got smart and am now an ovo-lacto Keto Carnivore! :sunglasses:

(Richard) #6

Many years ago after slaughter two pigs I was lacto/ovo vegetarian for several years. At the slaughter time, I also raised rabbits to eat.

Seeing the live pig nuzzling the one that was shot did the trick. It was not a rigid conviction of dietary superiority that cause me to change.

I have read a Taoist poem of a butcher cutting a carcass. It had to do with the knife slicing around the joints.

Now, I eat meat. And I would slaughter my own if necessary. But I also eat vegan or vegetarian without the illusion of moral or nutritional superiority.

(Marie Dantoni) #7

If I had to look at the animals in the eyes I would probably be vegan.

(Laurie) #8

I was a vegetarian for many years and a vegan for a couple of those. I did it initially because I didn’t like meat much and it was supposed to be healthier for people and for the planet. I moved out of California and it became much harder so I started eating chicken (white meat only) and some salmon. I started low carb on the advice of my physician and once I started investigating and learning on my own, going to keto, I thought I would give it my best try and have started back with red meat and dark meat chicken.

I was vegan for six months. My doc is a big fan of “no animal protein!” and suggested that if I were to give up all animal products my intestinal problems would vanish. I gave it six months and felt ok on it but put on a little weight and didn’t see any improvement in my gut health.

I remembered that 20 years ago I had done Atkins and not only lost weight but felt great so thought “Hey, do that again!” Started doing my research and homework and found the keto diet. Only been on it about 9 weeks but loving it.
Sue

(Sophie) #10

I know @barefootbob was a vegetarian before he found Keto. Perhaps he can shed some light with his experience. As for me personally, I’ve always been a meat and 2 veggies kinda southern gal. With lots of bacon fat in the veggies. My downfall (trip through hell) was a culmination, which I refer to as my perfect storm of thyroid, premenopause, useless doctors and undiagnosed IR.

(Brian) #11

I hear ya, Richard! I might look like I’m part of a motorcycle gang but I’m a pure weenie when it comes to killing something let along butchering. I was never around it growing up so that probably influences my squeamishness.

It’s kinda odd, I can watch while a nurse draws blood. I can even watch some surgeries without a flinch. Saw a heart valve replacement and a hip replacement (in color) and that was pretty cool. I couldn’t handle the hysterectomy or c section, though… way to much “icky” stuff. :frowning:

I suppose if my life depended on it, I could make myself butcher a chicken. I’d have to be pretty desperate. And maybe I wouldn’t be as squeamish once it didn’t actually look like a chicken anymore. Probably the same with a fish.

(Karen) #12

I have a strong taste preference for vegetarian cooking, especially if some else doing the fussy cooking. It’s my go-to for restaurants also. I thik most vegetarians consume too much grain based foods. My daughter is a breadetarian. Too easy to gain weight. Just eliminating grains might make it doable. I have been a vegetarian off and on.

K

(Sophie) #13

I totally get what you’re saying. I’ve slaughtered many a fish and maybe I’m not so squeamish since I was started young on fishing. I’ve never personally butchered anything larger than a 6lb catfish but I think I have it in me to take on at least a chicken. And it would depend on my connection to that particular animal, hand raised vs. wild. Distance would make it easier, I guess. And hunger would definitely play a major role as well.

Simply put… It did not work out so well.
I don’t think I’m genetically wired for being a vegetarian and certainly not a vegan.
I don’t think 99% of the human population is wired for that nonsense. I’m of Irish/Viking/German decent… not going to try that or low fat ever again.

Give me good fatty meats, good whisky, and good music! Keep your damn tofu! :laughing:

(Sophie) #15

…my kinda guy! LOL :smile:

(Michele) #16

I was a mostly vegetarian, then an ovo-lacto vegetarian in the mid 80’s, then mostly vegetarian. Part of my distate for meat was the way it was presented to me as a child, I couldn’t stand the texture of gristle and anything really slimy and chewy as it made me gag.

(Brian) #17

Thanks to all who have replied so far! I’ve enjoyed reading your posts and a little of your backgrounds.

It’s interesting the different places we come from eating wise and where we’re ending up.

:slight_smile:

(Allie) #18

Been both. Was vegan for about a decade until around four years ago when something just had to give before stress destroyed me, and the only thing I could control at the time was my diet, so I relaxed it massively and removed a huge stressor and things started getting better.

(Ashley Sarmany) #19

I was vegetarian for 28 years, vegan off and on for about 5 of those. When I left home for college, I left meat behind. I began Keto and meat eating 6 months ago and won’t look back. I can’t believe the difference in how I feel, it’s incredible.

I was vegetarian 9 months, about 20 years ago. Mainly ethical.

Didn’t feel well on it. Sometimes very unwell.
Am intolerant of grains, gluten, whey and soya - which all became apparent during those 9 months. Also have reactive hypoglycaemia and do best when carbs are very low.

So the choice was either go vegan or back to meat. And frankly, I like my food too much to go vegan. Although I still care (very much) about the quality and care of the animals I eat.

Started to feel better as soon as I reintroduced meat.

I guess my body does better on very low carb and meat. Not surprising really, family members come from farming and fishing stock, inland and coastal. One great grandfather was a butcher.

How long do STALLs last?