How long do STALLs last?

(Karen) #8

Up and down for two weeks. Still measurements went down.

K

I have stalled for over 2 years. Tried everything. Literally everything.

Then recently I had a bad tummy bug which has seemed to shock my body into into losing a bit. Very curious to see whether it will stay where I am now, lose, or regain. It does like its set point.

(Karen) #10

Is your bmi really low now?

K

(Joan Hulvey) #11

For me I couldn’t get past a certain weight for the longest time; thought this must be my body’s preferred weight. Then I got more strict with my macros and tracking. I’m following the recommended formula from Ellen Davis’ book: Fight Cancer with a Ketogenic Diet. For an ideal weight of 140: 64 grams protein, up to 12 grams carbohydrate (OK to go less; I aim for 10), and no more than 108 grams of fat. Since I weigh more than 140, I don’t try to reach the fat grams, just limit them to that amount. Voila! Scale weight and blood sugars instantly respond nicely.

(Randy) #12

Not to mention a deceiver, a fibber, and a perjurer. Bearing false witness, via equivocation in order to fabricate false conclusions…

…or so I’ve heard. :bacon:

(Renee Slaughter) #13

Lol too true

My longest was 6 weeks. Also, not sure how true it is, but they say that women lose inches first then the scale moves. For men, scale first then inches.

Hang in there! Keep calm and keto on!

If you’re not doing so already, try intermittent and/or extended fasting. They are very effective tools for improving insulin resistance and thereby enabling weight loss.

(cheryl) #16

GAWD NO!!! lol… lots to lose

Intermittent fasting + OMAD will smash you through any plateau. I’m currently going through the same thing now which is why I’ve not been very active on here as all of my discipline and focus is on smashing through this barrier as I’m so close to onederland now :smiley:

My experience is that IF and OMAD does not ‘smash’ through ‘any plateau’

I am a case in point.

It may work for many, even most. But not all. I guess some of us are just extra special little snowflakes.

(Michael ) #19

Are you eating too many calories? I believe there’s a metabolic advantage to keto, but of course you can still go overboard …especially with bullet proof coffee. I also believe that it can take time to improve insulin resistance and get levels low. If you’re still really insulin resistant then you won’t have much of a metabolic edge. I think it can take time and possibly fasting can help improve insulin resistance and other issues. A lot of people don’t worry about calories on keto due to satiety and potentially improved metabolic rate. However, if you’re super insulin resistant, you may not be naturally satiated or burning body fat well, so calorie deficit and fasting may be necessary. Gary taubes and dr. Fung will probably call BS on what i just said, but the idea that calories don’t matter at all is absurd. You can absolutely gain weight on keto. So, not losing…consider ditching the butter coffee…at least until your body is functioning properly. If you’re already eating below maintenance calories, give it time or start IF

All of this is assuming you are taking measurements or something as short term weight fluctuations are not necessarily conclusive, and the scale cannot differentiate between fat, muscle and water. I only mentioned the above statements because some people like to tell you to ignore the scale when someone is stalling long term and not making progress. They will tell you to throw away the scale and eat more bacon, but it might actually be useful to be realistic and offer real information

If this is the case then you should be speaking to your doctor, unless you’re eating more than your daily expenditure in one sitting, which I highly doubt. If you have stalled for so long whilst IF + OMAD then that screams underlying health issue.

Oh yes, i have other health issues. Many people do.
That is another reason why one size (or way of eating) does not fit all, and why i am very uncomfortable with any kind of blanket statements.

Almost everything said when it comes to this sort of thing is going to be a generalisation more often than not, otherwise we’d all have to state that there’s exceptions or deviations from the statistical trend, which would be weird if we all started doing that.

(Jenn Monaghan) #23

Currently in a 3 month stall…

I find that people who speak from personal experience, use references to back their opinions, and who take the time to appropriately qualify their statements usually make the most useful contributions.

(Carolus Holman) #25

I was stall for about 3 weeks, could not budge from my weight. I just KCKO. It worked, I added some IF and then the pounds started slipping away. I weigh in 1X per week, that also seems to cure the scale-obsession a little.

(Jen) #26

Must be a Jennifer thing. Me too.
And it’s very frustrating I must add!!!

you have the same macros that i do! i’m also following ellen davis’ formula. glad to hear that it’s working so well for you. :slight_smile: