How many calories for Keto and IF?

(Chris Perry) #1

I’ve been doing keto/low carb for 6-7 months, have lost some weight and put on some muscle. I originally calculated my calorie intake using an online resource. I’m a 6’4 , 350lb heavy lifter. The site told me to have between 3000-4000 calories so I went with 3000 and saw some success. I got to a plateau so I dropped to 2800 calories to break the plateau and have just added a 16:8 IF plan. Do I alter my calories for that? I’m trying it at 2,800 calories during my 8 hour window but I’ve read some people on here only having 1000-1500 calories. Am I was off? I’m trying to keep my strength and muscle mass. Just interested if people adjust their calories when they start doing IF

from what I have understood, it is the discrepancy between eating well ( enough calories) and the fasting window which causes the weight loss. if you restrict calories your body goes into starvation mode and lowers the metabolism rate. So to keep the metabolism higher, one has to eat normally during those hours of eating so the intermittent fasting can have that desired effect because metabolism remains high.

(Jack Bennett) #3

Hello and welcome!

Usually the goal of IF is to get your “normal” quantity of food / energy in fewer meals. If you have 1-2 meals of the same size as before, you would cut your calories by 1/3 or 2/3 which is probably not what you want.

The idea is that you raise insulin less and/or less often by eating less frequently during the day, so your body can burned stored fat during the periods of the day when you’re not eating.