How long is normal for a stall?

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #1

I’ve been following a keto diet for a month and a half. At first the weight just poured off like water. I lost 8 kg. Now I’m stalled and it’s been 3 weeks. From what I’ve read, this isn’t atypical. Is there a typical duration for stalls?

There are some things I can do to tweak, and slowly, I am doing so. But it would be nice to know how long a stall typically lasts so I know how aggressive I need to be with those tweaks.

Thanks in advance for your advice to a newbie.

(carl) #2

Read this. Stalls are learning opportunities

(carl) #3

I’ve been at the same weight for nearly a year, 80 pounds down. However, my waistline keeps shrinking, I’m exploding with energy, never felt better in my life, and I consider everything I eat to be comfort food. Oh yeah, I also don’t have diabetes anymore. Never going back!

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #4

Thank you!

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #5

Well, I read it. Didn’t answer my question, but I did learn some things. Thank you! :slight_smile:

(Andrew Anderson) #6

I’ve learned there is no such thing as typical when n=1. There are to many physical, mental, and environmental factors that impact our own personal biological Petri dish. Loss, gains, and stalls are all part of the experience while we metabolically repair.

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #7

I was stalled for months, then I dropped about 12 pounds over three days, but now it looks like I’ve stalled again as I’ve not dropped anything (well, actually, only a pound or two) since the drop. I think I’ve resigned to myself that my loss will be stepped.

Keep calm and keto on.

(jay) #8

After a year on keto my weight has stabilized, (245 to 165) but I can confirm stalls for weeks and months at a time were not uncommon. At the time I was as close to zero carb as possible. The stall patterns I noticed with regards to continuing my loss of body fat revolved around cheese, too much and I would stall out. My other stall points came from too much protein getting converted to glucose by my liver. The thing is once you decide (for me it came maybe 6 months in) to adopt Keto as an eating lifestyle rather than a weight loss diet, a couple of months of stall is trivial compared a the lifetime of fighting (in my case for sure) carb induced obesity . It was at this 6 month point I began to weigh myself biweekly rather than daily because I began to take a long term, a lifetime view. At that time, I had to “Keto in the Dark” an experience I know many others on this forum share, before accidentally stumbling on the 2 keto dudes podcast and the fantastic people sharing resources on this forum. Keep Keto’n on, and congratulations, you’ve already passed the most difficult point.

(Christopher Bingel) #9

stalls can last for weeks or months. Measure or pay attention to other things like energy level, mood, measurements, blood sugar. Try a short fast, or feast for a day or two. Up your carbs, Drop your carbs. Keeping your routine the same will keep your body the same.

Make sure you’re drinking enough water, too.

(Siobhan) #10

I’ve had stalls of 1-2 months before, and stalls after introduction aren’t at all uncommon.
You tend to lose weight (typically water weight) and then stall for 1-2 months (for my dad it was 3) then you start losing again.
Keep an eye out for non-scale victories like shinier hair, smoother skin, more energy, less hungry, etc in the mean time.
And lost inches/looking leaner even if the scale doesn’t move!

In other words… yes it’s pretty common and nothing to worry about. In all liklihood - especially as you’re so early in - it’s just Post Introductory Stall Syndrome and it’ll pass in a month or two, while you lose inches/feel some good changes in the mean time. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Oh as for typical duration, generally if it lasts longer than 2-3 months after initial weight lost you might want to start tweaking (although you can before that of course).
For later stalls generally 1-2 months with no inches lost I would consider a time to tweak.

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #11

Thank you so much, Siobhan. Your response is heartening! I have noticed that my clothes fit better.

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #12

Thank you! So glad I asked.

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #13

Thank you! I have to look into “Keto in the Dark.” I like your attitude. I’m a cheese-freak and I think that’s the place I have to tweak.

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #14

Thank you, keehan.

So true!
After my first month, i stalled for two. But as long as you eat when you are hungry, until you are full, and dont start to punish yourself with calori-restriction, its a nice way to wait for your body to heal.

I really want a life with a working metabolism, not to live calori-restricted, so its soo worth it for me!

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #16

Thanks for forcing me to google n=1 :smile:

(Deb) #17

I think that fat loss and this way of eating is a step-down process, and every level requires a change in our diet as our weight changes. Kind of the opposite of “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting DIFFERENT results.”; this is , if you keep doing the same thing while your body has changed, you won’t get the SAME results you had been getting all along (fat loss). You have to change to accomodate your new LBM, your new body fat percentage,etc. Just my thoughts.

All good advice above, as well. Very caring people here on this forum, which is why I enjoy it here.

(Varda Meyers Epstein) #18

Thanks. That makes sense.
I agree this is a great forum with caring, knowledgeable people. So glad I stumbled onto it!