How is everybody doing?

I quite new here. Been reading for a while, but only started posting a few weeks ago.

Eased into carnivory/ZC just before Xmas, and was doing great. Have been IF and keto for a long time before that. Enjoying the ZC food. Enjoying the reduction in menu planning and kitchen phaff.

But then this last weekend I had a bout of tummy upset (probably norovirus, since there is a lot of it around here at the mo), and I’m totally disinterested in food. The thought of meat is very unappealing, but the last thing I want to do is start back on carbs, even green veg at the moment. Even chicken broth feels like a no no so far.

I was just thinking that hearing how all of you are doing, and how much you are benefiting from ZC might help me ease back into eating.

Thanks in advance. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Chris) #2

Hi Brunneria! That sounds awful, I’m sorry you’re going through it. Have you been to a doc? There could be something going on that isn’t necessarily related to diet.

Either way, when other natural carnivores (like my cat) get sick in their bellies, they fast. Perhaps just a little time off could help a bit. I don’t think you mentioned if you were still choking down food despite it not being appetizing at all. Good luck I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks! :grin:

I must admit that my body is asking for fasting at the moment, and your comment about cats makes perfect sense. Will go with it and just listen to my body.

Usually i hit a fasting wall at about 36 hours (when I try to sleep on an empty stomach) but this time i have swept through that and am heading for 72 hours, so I will just take it as an unexpected upside. Lol

(Chris) #4

Well, keep us posted and do reach out if you need support!

(KAREN GUNN) #5

I would say just to make sure you are staying hydrated and make sure you have plenty of electrolytes! When your body is ready to eat it will let you know.

(migorstmarseille) #6

I’ve been following a ZC protocol since the first of the year, and I’ve experienced something I’ve had a couple of times since eating low carb.

Gout.

I’ve had it in my left big toe and ball of the foot. It waxes and wanes, and I’ve received a prescription to help deal with it. I love ZC, how I feel, but I’m a little concerned.

Anyone else have any experience with gout on a ZC/Keto diet? Suggestions? Thanks.

(Karen) #7

My left toe gout is improved.,but some gout triggers are things like beer, and beef. Purines.

Alcoholic beverages are generally high in purines, and drinking a lot of alcohol can lead to hyperuricemia. High purine foods include beef, game meats, liver, herring, mackerel, anchovies, sardines, scallops, mushrooms, dried beans, dried peas, and sweetbreads.

K

(migorstmarseille) #8

Thanks @Keto6468. I try to vary my protein, as I know beef is high in purine, but I’ve found that there are purines in pretty much everything. It seems like a weird balancing act to eat the way that seems to be most beneficial for me, save that one thing. I don’t drink alcohol at all. I used to, but I got gout from that a long time ago. That’s why I don’t drink anymore. :grin:

(Karen) #9

Purines.

http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm

Pork belly’s not too bad.

K

(migorstmarseille) #10

Wow. Thanks for sharing that table. Sardines are so high. I don’t eat them much. However, I’ve been on a run of a pound of chicken livers cooked in a rasher of bacon once a week, and the livers are about 2x the purines of beef. Ground chuck (which has been my main ZC source this month) isn’t so bad, comparatively. Cheese is pretty low on the whole, but I’ve found my cheese yen is pretty low of late, other than a slice or two on my grilled 1/2 lb. 80/20.

Next time I hit the butchers, I’m going for pork belly. Thanks again.

(Chris W) #11

I’ve been strict ZC for about 6 months. My weight has been stable, my blood sugars are stable and my body composition has improved significantly.
I think I’m still still getting used to hunger signals on ZC. I’ve probably been closer to “eat as much as you want, whenever you want” rather than “eat when hungry, until full”. Recently I’ve cut back my intake to try to better understand hunger on this WOE. It does seem that I’m starting to lose weight again, and my blood glucose is better, but I’m not much more hungry than I was on “unconstrained” ZC
I have a history of hyperuricemia, but in me it shows up as Uric Acid kidney stones rather than gout. In my experience, a flare up is common when you 1st change your diet (or start and stop meds), but in the long run staying away from fructose has a bigger impact than animal protein. I do take potassium citrate to help prevent the crystallization of Uric Acid.

@migorstmarseille

That sounds horrible. I have a friend who has experienced bouts of gout a few times, and it is truly miserable.

I like belly pork sliced and then roasted til golden brown, with just salt as seasoning, but I have seen some fantastic recipes for the stuff.

(migorstmarseille) #13

It’s a real pain. Mine has been so bad that you can’t even put a sheet on your foot. The current bout is just uncomfortable enough that walking normally is a bit difficult. I’m also going to do some EF, as I’ve been doing 20/4 IF with ZC since the first of the year and I’m still getting the result.

OK, pork belly is my mission.

Tentatively returned to homemade chicken broth soup yesterday (basically chick broth with whizzed up chook in it), and for lunch today I had some baked salmon.

Happily digested both, so am delighted to say that Food is Back on the Menu!

Feeling much better and beginning to plot a visit to the butchers and not intending to reintroduce those scary and fibre filled veg any time soon… :grin:

(Chris) #15

Awwwwwwesome!