How far will you walk tonight?

10 miles with a bit over 1900 feet of total elevation gain on Friday morning.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #42

I am just loving these pictures! Thanks for posting.

11.3 miles on Sunday Morning. The temperature started in the mid-seventies and was in the mid- to high-nineties by the time I finished. I drank somewhat over 4 liters of water.

11.2 miles and a little over 3100 feet of total elevation gain on July 4.

This is Tom’s Thumb:

Nearly 8 miles on Friday morning.

(Doug) #46

Love the iconic saguaros, Kevin.

(Pete A) #47

Here now, 3 hours mountainside walk…1.5 hours in! :yum: I’ll be up top at the end.

Roar!

Nice!

(Casey Crisler) #49

I just started hiking or trail walking in the last couple of months. I live close to Lookout Mountain in North Phoenix so it’s my go-to destination. It’s about a 3 mile walk from the house and around the mountain. I’m hoping to make it to the top soon. Next goal is North Mountain. There is actually a Hohokam observatory archaeology site up on one of those hills.

Although I live somewhat nearby - I’m in Fountain Hills - I haven’t yet been to either Lookout Mountain or North Mountain.

Consulting HAZ, I see:

https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=673

And, for North Mountain:

https://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=82

I see that Lookout Mountain has a climbing area too!

10.6 miles on Friday morning…

(Empress of the Unexpected) #52

How hot is it?

86 when we started and 95 when we finished. I drank around four liters of water.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #54

Do you see a lot of butterflies on your walks? I am involved with butterflies and moths of North America and the local expert says they are not active this year due to the drought. My husband has found none in the Sam Bernardino mountains.

We see some butterflies in the spring, though I don’t recall seeing many this year. I tend to see more butterflies somewhat north of where I do most of my hiking. We saw these butterflies several years ago (in July) while hiking near Horton Springs:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #56

So gorgeous. The website is BAMONA (butterflies and moths of North America. Gosh, will id them. Can I steal them for the website?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #57

If you see others, please send them my way.

You have my permission to use that photo.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #59

Thanks so much. Your butterflies will become famous. I will send you the link. You said years ago. Does your camera have the date ?

July 3, 2015. The date is in both the filename and in the EXIF too.

I sent you a link to another photo privately. (Let’s continue the butterfly discussion in private…)