How eating Keto affects a woman's hormones and her monthly visitor

(Maz) #162

Thank you for the post and my peace of mind!

(Maz) #163

Iā€™m in the same boat as you. Thanks for posting ā€¦ I hadnā€™t had a period in about 14 months and boom, in my second week of keto, full blown! I was having an easy time of it too. I feel the same way.

(Mother of Puppies ) #164

I had a 60 day period ending around mid January.

SUPER HEAVY (I was out of ketosis) wearing a cup, a giant pad AND stuck a tampon in there. FLOODING EVERYWHERE. Clots so big they knocked the cup into the toilet!! Egg-sized to tennis ball-sized clots!!! (Sorry for tmi)

Blood pressure dropped to SEVENTY. Went to ER TWICEā€¦heart palpitations (I have iron anemia, btw) two courses of (birth control) meds didnā€™t have any impact.

Three days of strict Keto, it stopped.

In shark week now. Whenever I overdo carbs, bleeding is heavier. Back to Keto, back to a light period. Within hours. I had both today.

(CJ Young) #165

Yeah, I just had my second period on keto and AGAIN for the second time in over two years I had a ā€œnormalā€ period. 3-4 days with only two days of med-heavy bleeding. Iā€™m absolutely thrilled. Itā€™s a freedom I havenā€™t known for a long time to not be constantly stressing and panicking about it.

(Kelly) #166

So I just started keto two weeks ago. I started my period around the same day and it hasnā€™t stopped!! Its heavy flow everyday and lots of clotting and Itā€™s not showing sny signs of stopping either. Anyone else periods get worse instead of better? CallI ng my OB inbthe morning but thought i would see if anyone has had the same experience.

(Kat Fitzgerald) #167

Every time I enter Ketosis I spot bleed for a few days. This has occurred for me 4 times over the past year and a half that I have been in/out of Ketosis.

I have been post-menopausal for about 2 years (no periods aside from this keto-spotting).

I was always hormone sensitiveā€¦ In my 20ā€™s I suffered from Endometriosis, and I couldnā€™t carry a pregnancy due to sever Hyperemesis Gravidarum.

Now 48, on Keto I have no more hot flashes or headaches, I have no more sugar crashes or brain fogā€¦ before I could feel my brain dying on carbs, it pulsed with pain and I couldnā€™t think. I suffered headaches for so many yearsā€¦ I wish I had found this sooner.

(Sarah ) #168

Did you find any info on why? Iā€™m experiencing very similar situation. Is it still happening?

(Kim Craig) #169

Well it seems my periods are on the move anywayā€¦ Menopause I suspect. Have now had my cycle get considerably longer and no ovulation so im pretty convinced. As far as the discharge goesā€¦ I do not entirely know the cause but I have found that gel for BV (bacterial vaginosis) applied on the last day of my periodā€¦ when it comesā€¦ completely sorts the funky smell. So im thinking that either due to the ketosis or the menopause or both my vaginal flora, so to speak, has changed and needs a bit of help with its ph. Hope this helps! Kim

(Britt Bot) #170

I am 30 years old, no kids and have been on the same birth control for years now and I am now almost 2 months into ketoā€¦ however before keto I had super regular periods. 6 days every 28 days and now I am on my 3rd period since I have started keto (4/9/18) and they have all been about a week and 1/2 long, so I am pretty much having a period every two weeks for two weeks at a time. It will be mostly spotting the first couple days then normal flow for a couple days then back to spotting for the rest of the time. I am just needing some confirmation that this will level out and fix itself or if I need to go see my doctor and see if he can help me regulate this craziness. I am about to give up on keto otherwise. :frowning:

(SleepyMotherOf3 šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§) #171

My periods started happening a week earlier until I started having weekly carbs ups which put them back,to the normal schedule.

(icky) #172

Hi :blush:

Can you tell me how/ what/ why you do a ā€œweekly carb upā€?

Iā€™m still trying to find a n=1 version of Keto which works for me.

Thanks!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #173

Leanne Vogel does explain this well and a lot.

Did not work out for me personally, but we are all different. Soā€¦

(SleepyMotherOf3 šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§) #174

Once a week I eat whatever chocolate, sweets, cake and ice cream I want. In theory this should just refill my glycogen stores. It stops my body messing up my hormones and helps me stick to keto the rest of the week. I am usually back in ketosis the following day. Personally I think itā€™s a good thing to do if a pre-menopausal woman.

(Katie Kelleher) #175

Glad I read through this topic for this recommendation for podcast. Thanks @VirginiaEdie !

(Katie Kelleher) #176

Ok, Iā€™ve been trying to read all of these, so I apologize if Iā€™m asking something again. Iā€™ve been on hormonal birth control since I was 13. My symptoms were horrific and it was the only thing that helped. I havenā€™t been off since. My first period was fine on keto. Same time frame, but heavier than it had been. Do we know if there are long term effects or if birth control becomes less effective?

Iā€™m on keto just over 3 months, and Iā€™m now 2 weeks late from when aunt rosie shouldā€™ve visited. no pregnancy, and Iā€™m not menopausal. Going through the forums to try to work it out, but maybe itā€™s just some RESET button, I dunnoā€¦

(MW) #178

Iā€™ve been on birth control pills since 2008 to keep my endometriosis under control. The pills Iā€™ve been on have resulted in only 2-3 periods during the year, each being short and light. I ran out of those pills a couple of weeks ago and other than hot flashes (withdrawals I assume), I havenā€™t really felt my endo symptoms returning yet. Been keto since February 25th and Iā€™m wondering if being off of the junk/processed foods is helping with this aspect. Will also wait and see when my monthlies return and if theyā€™ll be normal (as I vaguely remember from 10 years ago) or completely out of control.

(Ana Barbara Alzua) #179

Hello! This is my first Keto PMS/Keto Period, Iā€™ve always had ultra strong pms symptoms, this period I never even noticed until my bedisider app reminded me to remove my nuvaring. But I havenā€™t been able to control myself around carbs (cookies), have been REALLY tired, have had massive headaches and Iā€™ve got the most horrible dark circles under my eyes.

Has anyone else had sort of the same symptoms?

Thanks!

(Karrie) #180

I came across your post and was wondering if you had gotten any answers. I am 44 years old and started keto 5 weeks ago. About 3 weeks ago I started bleeding mid cycle and havenā€™t stopped since. Went to the doctor a few days ago and got blood work done and will be getting a pelvic ultrasound to see if there are any uterine issues. I am on BCP, but the doctor put me on a double dose last week to try to stave the bleeding. I donā€™t know if keto is the cause of my nonstop period, but it just seems more than coincidental.

(Amanda Haugh) #181

Hey all. Iā€™m 26 Iā€™ve been doing keto since 4/30/18. Dropped an awesome 20 lbs.

Iā€™ve been on Nexplanon bc for 7 years. I donā€™t have kids, but I am sexually active with my husband so enjoy the bc although I have noticed some hormonal imbalances.

Pre-keto I probably got my period once or twice a year. Well 1 week after starting keto, I got it. It lasted 8 heavy days with the worst cramps Iā€™ve ever had. I actually had to buy a cup because my normal pad and tampon deal wasnā€™t enough. Had a week with no period. Got it again for another 7 days and was heavy. Went less than a week and had spotting that turned into more moderate flow. Iā€™ve never had 3 periods in 1 months time though. I started to worry before I read all this. I guess this is my body balancing out.

I already planned on removing my implant when the 3 years is up, but is it safe to keep in while the hormones balance? Will it slow my detox and cause me to continue bleeding this much? Looking for someone else who has dealt with nexplanon and keto.