How dumb was I ? :(

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #1

…to pass up this deal ? :frowning:

So a few days ago I was in my local Wal Mart family market, and they had about 10 big booming Beef Briskets, anywhere from 14 lbs, to 20 lbs, all marked down to about 30% off of an already good price… which brought them down to $2.25 a lb !
And I didn’t buy one :frowning: My excuses were, 1) I had two more hunks of brisket in the freezer at home already, and 2) I hadn’t yet SV’ed it as good as I thought I could…
But now I have ! I SV’d one of those hunks for 50hrs @ 134 F, and it came out unbelievably good !

So now I’m kicking myself in the arse for not getting a 20lb’er for $45

BTW, I still have no clue how to separate a flat from the point… Murdered that first one, Telling you that cow died twice ! :slight_smile: lol But at this point, I almost don’t care ! A 50hr SV melts a lot of the fat away anyway, plus that fat is as helpful (or moreso) than the darn meat anyway :slight_smile: Probably easier to remove a little bit of fat on my plate, than it is to remove before cooking anyway. Plus, the dogs will love me :wink:

Tell me how dumb I was to pass up brisket for $2.25 a lb. Do you think I will see that deal again any time soon ?

(Robert C) #2

At that price - how much growth hormone are you ingesting? How many antibiotics did the animal (and now you) receive? Are you getting a ton of omega 6 and no omega 3?

“Dumb” is more about doing something known to be wrong - you might just be missing some common knowledge.

(Central Florida Bob ) #3

Dude… the best I’ve seen around here is ONLY flats and ALWAYS over $6.50 /lb! I’m dyin’ here at the thought of packer briskets for $2.25/lb.

Anyway, separating point from flat:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

There’s no way to separate out by post, it’s kinda like one big stream of consciousness.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #4

Hopefully a bunch ! :slight_smile: Bring on the growth hormones ! Do you know how much HGH costs on the black market ? :wink: lol

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #5

Hmmmm… its still different actually doing it, and this stuff is as tough as leather before an extended SV… Going to go look again for a video or two…

(Robert C) #6

Yeah - people in the 80’s justified “artificial preservatives” as life extending. Not so much today.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #7

Eh… Not afraid of a few preservatives. I’ll probably end up with cancer anyway (if I live long enough), but not from preservatives, and more importantly, I won’t waste any of my time now, worrying about it :slight_smile:

And I want to reiterate, although I feel like cancer is 99% random, and unpreventable, I think eating low carb… and maybe consuming a bunch of THC / CBD products, could help as much, or more than anything else :slight_smile:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #8

Yea… Well, I can still get them at Sams Club, for about $3.50 a lb… So if I don’t see another killer sale soon, I’ll just have to get a 15-20 lb’er for $50 to $70…
And like I say, even if I murder it again, I’m saving ALL of it. Frying the fat for beef cracklings, and if quite a bit of fat goes into the SV bags, so be it. It will mostly render, plus I can really concentrate my searing on the fat, and make all kinds of flavor with it :slight_smile:

I read a few years ago embalmers are having an easier job of the embalming process due to the preservatives.

I guess we’re being good stewards for job protection instead of being good stewards for resources. :rofl:

(Ken) #10

I just picked up one this Morning for 2.99 a pound, regular price. When I started buying them they were .89 a pound.

I’ve already cut it up into steaks and tenderized it. I’m going to just use the weed torch and see how they come out.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #11

You mean “after SV” ? Or just cook them from start to finish with the weed torch ? Brisket seems tougher than leather before SV’ing… I think even if another cooking method is used, it needs to be slow and low…

(Ken) #12

Nah, just the Torch… You have to beat seasoned tenderizer into the steaks and work them over with the Jaccarder. It tasted a little different. Next time I’ll finish them over charcoal.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #13

Interesting. And this comes out sufficiently tender ? My biggest concern… Man that brisket is tough !

(Ken) #14

Sure. As long as you beat it to death… Definitely different than a regular steak. Sometimes I marinate the steaks in a vac bag for a few days. But, it means I eat beef most days in the Summer.

“Bring on the growth hormones”

I love this comment, make them gainz!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Thomas Seyfried and other researchers believe that most cancer is actually metabolic in origin, fueled by the wrong diet . . . one guess which diet. :grin:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

You realize, of course, that embalmers drain all the blood and other fluids from the deceased and replace it with a fluid whose main component is formaldehyde. And doing so only keeps the deceased presentable long enough to get through the wake and funeral. Over the course of your lifetime you would have to consume thousands of times the concentration of preservatives in food to help embalmers have an easier job. You read a joke.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #18

…which I why I say, if I can do anything at all that might prevent cancer, I put more faith in low carbs, than pretty much anything else.
It just makes sense to me. We evolved first as hunters. The only thing I feel a little bad about, is I just don’t like animal guts… Which was probably the first thing our ancestors went for.
Or even look at a bear eating salmon… They go straight for the stomach, and if their is a surplus, they will eat only the guts (and especially the roe from females) and toss the meat covered carcuses aside…