How does fat burning work the old fashioned way

I’ve been getting schooled on how keto works and around fat burning when in ketosis and adapted. I am now curious how fat burning works, specifically around weight loss when someone is not in ketosis.

I’ve been doing quite a bit of Googling but have not found any explanation that feels particularly trustworthy. I think having a good understanding of this and where its benefits are limited will help me have conversations with non-believers.

(Carol E. ) #2

No science to offer. I am aware of much that debunks the “old fashioned” way.

Anecdotally, before nutritional ketosis and improving my insulin resistance it felt like I needed a hammer and chisel!

Fat can be accessed whenever insulin levels are low enough. In metabolically healthy individuals, this occurs in periods between meals. Exercise also shuts down insulin response so energy can be pulled from fat cells as needed. Ketones are the by-product of fat metabolism, which is why non-keto people will still detect trace amounts in their blood first thing in the morning or post-exercise. They will not, however, be in “nutritional ketosis” since they will not maintain elevated ketone levels throughout the day because the liver has adequate glycogen stores to provide glucose for the brain.

thanks CaroIT

(John Spanos) #5

I had this same question. Thanks for the answer @carolT. That does illustrate why it is so difficult to lose on a typical low-fat diet. The cycle looks something like:

1. Eat a low-fat meal (higher carbs).
  2. Exercise like mad to burn off the glucose you just dumped into your body as insulin is poured in to help with the glucose emergency.
  3. Get hungry as you run out of glucose.
  4. Just start to burn fat as you deny yourself a snack between meals.
  5. Goto 1

Seems painful when you can just skip all that and don’t eat carbs and stay in fat-burning mode all the time.

(David) #6

Interesting idea - Can’t remember the reference but it makes sense that even weight watchers is a high fat diet if you are not consuming all the calories you need. The rest comes from your fat stores.

split this topic #7

A post was split to a new topic: Spam Alert