How do you eat when fasting / IF

(Lari Tuomisto) #1

I don’t think I can find it explicitly mentioned anywhere about fasting, hence, a couple of silly questions:

• If you fast for multiple days, does that mean you literally eat nothing at all and if you do eat, what do you eat?
  • If you intermittent fast, do you only eat as much as you would eat in a single meal, or should you eat your daily intake in the single or two meals that you eat? I could easily eat just the breakfast’s worth so about 500kcal, and then eat the next time next day - is this bad?

(Guardian of the bacon) #2

There are a lot of fasting protocols. Each can have a different therepeutic purpose.

What are your goals, What is your current ketogenic status?

(Meeping up the Science!) #3

In my case I eat twice - two small meals that usually add up to about 8oz meat.

(bulkbiker) #4

When I fast I don’t eat anything but may drink coffee with cream and coconut oil, tea with low carb milk or maybe some broth depending on how long the fast is for.
I always do at least a 16:8 fast as I don’t eat breakfast just have hot drinks.
That’s just what I do.

In a complete extended fast, I eat nothing. Just water, tea, coffee, broth once a week and multivitamin twice per week.

intermittent fasting for me is eat dinner once (once per 24 hour). Only coffee, tea and water rest of day(without cream, milk, sugar, sweetener)

(Tom Seest) #6

When I fast, I eat to maintain the fast if it’s going to be an extended fast. I might have protein every 5 days in minimal amounts or something. But, that’s just me.

For intermittent fasting, I don’t eat. But, I don’t need too. I’m well adapted.

Others may need too.

Fasting is about you and your goals.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

I don’t eat any solid foods. I do use some fat (butter and/or MCT oil, and a small amount of HWC) in my coffee, to get some extra fat in, since I don’t have sufficient body fat to fully provide for my daily energy requirements. See @richard’s post here for more info:

With IF, you will typically consume all of your daily calorie needs in your eating window. So if you need 2000kcal/day, and you’re doing 20/4 IF, you’d eat 2000kcal during your 4 hour eating window. For more info on fasting, you might want to check out the work of Dr. Jason Fung, including his book The Obesity Code:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/the-obesity-code-available-for-pre-order/

There’s also lots of great info on his website (the link above is to his website), if you don’t want to buy the book.

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

Fung has a lot of great Youtube videos also

(G. Andrew Duthie) #9

Those are his specifically…plenty of others, too.

Many more on the Diet Doctor site:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/?s=Fung

(Scott Shillady) #10

:carl: and :richard: also have a great podcast with Dr Fung

@richard, @carl, can we please get a fasting category now???