How do you cook your Bacon?

conversationstarters

(Roxanne) #41

Hmmm…good question. I bought it at a restaurant supply shop and it is large, pretty much fills my oven, and is heavy weight so I suspect it heats more evenly. After pouring off the bacon fat, we let it cool down a bit, rinse with hot water, then fill with warm water and a bit of dish soap, let it soak for 10 minutes, and it cleans up very easily.

Baking pan with the cooling rack (find that bacon cooks more evenly this way and no flipping required- yes, i’m lazy). Set oven for 425 F for 20-25 minutes.

The bacon fat collected in the pan can be saved for cooking later. I usually go for uncured nitrite free bacon.

Also great wrapped around asparagus :slight_smile:

(Kathleen Lupole) #43

Thank you for your fast reply. I am going to get one and try it.

(Kathleen Lupole) #44

That looks good. What brand of bacon do you use? I have had a hard time finding bacon without nitrates or sugar.

Hormel Natural Choice is a good option. Some brands of uncured bacon may have trace amounts of sugar in them. I’d recommend reading the label first.

(Kathleen Lupole) #46

Thank you!

(What The Fast?!) #47

I never make it in batches. I cook it in the pan and then immediately cook eggs in the same pan. Or, I’ll sear whatever meat I’m eating with the bacon in the same pan.

(Duncan Kerridge) #48

If you batch bake it (I never have) do you just eat it cold after?

(Michelle) #49

Now that it’s summer we throw ours on the outside grill.
Easy, quick & NO clean up!
Plus we can cook an entire large package all at once.:wink:

(Michelle) #50

We batch grill ours & I just reheat in the microwave, 3-4 pieces at a time wrapped in paper towels.

I’ll be the oddball here.

Due to the fattiness of the bacon I have here (pastured), I just cut the strips in half and microwave them in a bowl for 2 minutes. (I don’t like crispy bacon and the recent talk about high heat cooking meat has given me pause.) Then, I usually mash in an avocado, which soaks up the bacon grease/yumminess.

(Jodi) #52

I batch bake in the oven all the time. It’s delicious eaten cold later.:blush:

Before ZC I liked my bacon pan-fried extra crispy. Now on ZC I like it floppy, and it doesn’t matter if it’s pan-fried or oven-baked, as long as it gets in my belly.

(Bacon, Not Stirred) #54

The absolute best way that I have ever cooked bacon is simple:

SUPER thick cut bacon, cooked on a grate over an open fire using cedar.

OMG. I could LIVE on it.

(Mike W.) #55

Yes. The cold fat is extra tasty.

(Jeremy Storie) #56

I do the same thing :grin::bacon:

(Jeremy Storie) #57

If I have any bacon left over I’ll eat it cold.

I start with 2-3 lbs of bacon. Cut all the strips into 1-2 in pieces and dump into deep pan. As it cooks it will deep fry in its own grease. Stir frequently to separate the pieces and to cook evenly. She is is finished, pour into a strainer, collecting all the grease in a bowl. Shake the strainer a bit to get rid of excess grease. No need to drain on paper towels. Store bacon in fridge to snack on or throw into other foods. Pour grease into a jar.

I have tried every method there is to cook largish amounts of bacon, and this is the easiest by far. I’m planning to up it to 4+ lb and use a stock pot next time.

(Susan) #59

Hamilton Beach grill (like a George Foreman grill) because I confess — can’t handle bacon grease! Guess it’s a throwback to the way I was raised, drain all fat and blot blot blot with paper towels. At least I don’t blot my slices now… Maybe one day I’ll be able to stomach and appreciate the nectar.