How do you cook your Bacon?

conversationstarters

(Crow T. Robot) #15

I saw this for the first time in my local supermarket about a week ago and I love it. It was like less than $3 for a whole pound and it tastes fantastic. The only “drawback” is that you have to slice it yourself, but I prefer that cos I can control the thickness.

(Fernando Aramburo) #16

Cooked in the oven at 325 (low temperature at attempt to minimize the denaturing of the fat and proteins which happens at higher temperatures) in cookie pans covered in aluminum foil for about 40 minutes. If you like to collect the grease, you simply pour into your favorite container, then throw away the foil making for a super fast cleanup.

The first time you use this method, I would check the doneness of your bacon starting at 35 minutes every 5 minutes until you get to your ideal “crispness.” The more crispy you like it, the more damaged are the fats and proteins, but damn, its soo good!

This by the way, after you get the timing down to your version of perfection, is so easy and repeatable, you set it and forget it. Once you get it down, you’ll never go back to the mess of pan frying!

(Guardian of the bacon) #17

Should make this a poll question.

(Mark) #18

I normally cook my Bacon with a great big smile

(Stephanie Hanson) #19

Baked on a rack in the oven. Collect the grease for later use.

@Chris_W and @migorstmarseille

Thought I should share this link, since you mentioned pork jowls…I made this a couple of days ago:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/matchstick-bacon-an-alternative-for-purse-bacon/5467

(migorstmarseille) #21

I do want to try and bake jowl. I’ve only been cutting it about 1/4" thick and frying it in a pan, then whipping up 6 eggs with HWC and cooking that. The eggs get really fluffy and delicious.

(migorstmarseille) #22

Wow. OK Fiorella. You’ve given me a weekend project. :bacon:

(Roxanne) #23

Thanks to what I learned on this forum, I now I use a large commercial baking pan and bake 2 pounds at once, folding the strips in half to fit them all on. I bake them at 375 for about 20 minutes, then flip, and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes until it’s the way I like it. I don’t use parchment or aluminum foil - I don’t find the clean up to be that difficult with the commercial pan. I pour off the bacon grease and save for other uses, although I usually have more than I can use so the dogs enjoy some on their kibble as well. Damn, now I want bacon!

(Guardian of the bacon) #24

You must be doing something wrong. :scream: I can barely keep it on hand.

(Kris Murdock) #25

I want to try this method. How long would you cook a pound at this temp?

I haven’t timed it but i would estimate 45 minutes. I check it after 30 min then every 5 minutes. I also save all of my bacon grease aka liquid gold.

(Sarah Barnbrook) #27

Most times it’s in my Whirlpool Crisp N Grill microwave. Love my crisping plate. I can cook perfect bacon and eggs in seven minutes.

(Julio Araujo) #28

I cook my bacon in bulk (2-3 lbs) in a griddle using a bacon press. And I save the bacon fat :wink:

(Guardian of the bacon) #29

Working on my bacon fabric skills. Does anybody have any tips for getting the bottom to crisp w/o flipping it or is it just not possible? Cooked in the oven @350 for about 50 minutes total. Flipped @35 minutes.

(chris.coote) #30

Beautiful!

I had to flip too :frowning:

(Guardian of the bacon) #31

BUTT bacon Jerky.

I buy this peppered butt bacon ( made from the “butt” which is really the shoulder) for $2.99/lb. It’s already cured and smoked, I put it straight onto the dehydrater for 6 hours.

(chris) #32

I wrap my bacon around green sticks and bake them in the oven. Usually I cook them over a grill. http://i.imgur.com/Aec0roi.jpg. The meat is pork cutlets/temples cooked with worcestershire sauce, soysauce, and garlic powder.

(chris) #33

Another way to cook bacon. I fry up a couple of pork center chops with garlic salt. When they are done I pull them off throw in diced bacon and cook for a few minutes, then about half an onion let that cook for a bit and then throw in green beans. I put the pork chops back in to warm them back up a bit. http://i.imgur.com/E4NfkWR.jpg

This recipe normally calls for sugar to be sprinkled over top which does make it taste good but its fine just like it is or with stevia.

also I don’t know how to post a picture on these forums other than a link.

(Todd Allen) #34

I put raw bacon into dishes like soups, stews, casseroles, quiche, etc. because it retains all of the fat. It also greatly reduces the formation of advanced glycation endproducts, aka AGEs, which are produced when pan frying bacon. AGEs are so named because of their correlation with accelerated aging through mechanisms such as degraded membranes especially mitochondrial. Having both metabolic syndrome and a genetic disease that trashes mitochondria trying to do everything possible to maximize mitochondria health has become an obsession.

Here’s a decent primer on AGEs
http://www.paleoplan.com/diseases-and-disorders/advanced-glycation-end-products-ages-and-you/