How do I grill salmon?

I bought this today cuz it was marked down from $20 to $12. I have no idea how to cook it. I did buy a grill. Do I wrap it in foil? Cooking time? I’m clueless and it has to be cooked tonight. I have minced garlic, butter, various spices. Suggestions?

Sorry, forgot to add pic. I want to grill it cuz I bought a grill especially for it.

('Jackie P') #2

If it is a salmon steak with skin (the best bit) I recommend this.
Rub it all over with an oil of your choice, I use light olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, get a frying pan ‘as hot as you dare’ put the salmon in skin side down. Leave it! Don’t move it for at least 3 minutes. Turn down the heat and turn it over for a couple of minutes depending on thickness. Throw in a knob of butter and baste it. A squeeze of lemon and my mouth is watering just thinking about it :yum:

(Bob M) #3

Butter, salt, you can add spices if you wish. Clean and put oil on grill grate. Skin down. Grill for a few minutes and check whether it’s done. My problem with salmon is always one side is thin and one thick, so the thin side is hard while the thick side is under cooked. You can flip up the thinner side if you wish, to get the combination of it and the underside about the same thickness.

This suggests 10-15 minutes per inch thickness. These are fillets, but they aren’t the whole fish.

('Jackie P') #4

If it is a whole salmon, yes stuff with herbs and butter. Season with salt and pepper, wrap in tin foil and grill on medium for about 15 mins each side😋

I don’t have grilling tongs so I think I’m going to use foil to make it easier to flip.

('Jackie P') #6

Yes now I see the picture I would wrap in tinfoil, season and cook as above, then open the foil to get the skin a little crisp! Enjoy😊

I love to grill but this is how I do salmon most often. Sure there are onions and tomatoes but you can live with some of those. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/salmon-and-melting-cherry-tomatoes-6565408

it is awesome.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

I would try to let the coals burn down, put it skin down on a piece of foil and rubbed with oil and spices of your choice, cover and let it cook without flipping it. You can just lift the foil off with your fingers when it’s done. If you have any hardwood chips toss a few of them on the coals to get some smoke. Should check after 10 minutes regularly for doneness. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Carl Keller) #9

You can cut the salmon into 4-5" pieces and use a spatula to flip it. Make sure the grill is well oiled and clean. I like to put grill marks on the fish first which means skin side up. Most will cook salmon skin side down but I find that i can get much better grill marks if I start skin side up. It depends on how much you are into presentation. Allow between 5-7 minutes on each side depending on how hot your grill is and how done you like your fish. If your fish comes off the grill a little pinker than you like, you can toss it back on the grill or microwave it for about 60 seconds.

BTW, $12.87 is a really good deal for a piece of salmon that big and nice looking.

(Jeramy Koval) #10

Another option is to use a cedar plank. There’s an extra step to soak the plank in water to keep it from catching fire. But after it heats up and slightly chars you flip it and place the salmon on top to cook. It ads a hint of flavor without overpowering the salmon. Might want to check out some YouTube videos.

For a ton of reasons I am not a “plank” fan. But here is a nice way to do salmon as well. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/seafood-recipes/seared-salmon-salad