How do I get all the fat in?

(Melissa ) #1

Hi, I’ve been at this a week and I’m struggling. I would love recommendations on how to get my fats in, especially ways that won’t increase my protein. The dairy products are affecting my protein intake and I would like to speed up this fat adaption process as much as possible. I seem to constantly be going over with my protein. Thanks so much!

My macros are off
(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

The struggle is real!

(Chris W) #3

Well one week you probably not even keto adapted which is first.

Fat adaption comes with time, some people can do it in matter of weeks others can take months. It is all a function of your dysfunctions(weight, age, T2D, etc) and IMHO how strict you are with keeping insulin from spiking by keeping carbs and glucose low.

As for eating fat things like nuts, EVO, coconut oil, avocado are just a few to start. I am not sure what you mean by effecting your protein intake with dairy, non dairy keto can be done as well if dairy is an issue. Fats are typically much more dense than protien so you get a lot more bang for your buck, some tricks are to eat fats with your veggies and eat eggs, or bacon which are fat dense.

(Diane) #4

Avocados, scrambled eggs with extra yolks, olives, macadamia nuts, and cream cheese. Creamy sauces, butter, and browned butter on veggies. Plenty of blue cheese dressing.

(Karen) #5

Dairy like Brie is a good fatty choice

K

(Mike W.) #6

(Karen) #7

Ha ha ha ha :joy::joy::joy:

K

(Anna Koral) #8

Avocados and olives are my favorite. Sautéeing my veggies in butter also works for me.

(Rob) #9

Obvs, macadamias… oh the sweet sweet fat bomb in nut shape!

Lots of good ideas for more fat but maybe examine the premise? Your concern is based on the level of protein you think you need. Unless we know what that is, it’s hard to know if you really have a problem.

What are your intakes in g for F/P/C? Then we could see what the problem is and what the solutions (if any are needed) might be.

(Liz) #10

Heya :slight_smile:
Here’s my favorites.

In the morning I’ll have either two pieces of bacon and an egg(~7 g fat) or four pieces of bacon(12g fat).
I usually have a spoonful of coconut oil(15g fat) also. (sounds gross but it’s not that bad and it’s good for your teeth and digestion)

At lunch I’ll go get either a bunless plain quarter pounder from McDonald’s with cheese (5 carbs and 42g fat)
OR
I’ll get a small tuna/octopus poke bowl with a tablespoon of sesame oil and sub the rice with greens (39 fat, 3 carbs)

And then there’s Atkins bars which have no carbs when you subtract the fiber and are a great filling and slightly sugary treat.

Honestly the MyFitnessPal App is your friend.
And protein style plain burgers with cheese are awesome, bless the fast food.

(Liz) #11

OH and onnit is awesome it’s mct oil with cream and it’s got lots of fats, will boost your ketones, and is already emulsified and ready to make bulletproof coffee in a cinch.

(Ashley) #12

What exactly is this lol?

(Rob) #13

It’s a way to eat butter without cutlery but avoiding getting your fingers messy… unless you let the chocolate melt.

(Ashley) #14

Ah, did not realize that was butter, interesting.

(Rob) #15

I know… when he first posted it a while ago, many people asked. It’s like an optical illusion in that your brain will not compute that it could be a slab of butter :thinking::exploding_head:

(Ashley) #16

Exactly, my brain just said idk what that is but it sure looks yummy how do I make it, lol!

(Melissa ) #17

I’ve been using an app to track my macros: here are the grams in each category: 15carbs/57grams of protein/110 grams of fat.

I keep surpassing the protein amount usually by about 20 grams. I drink heavy whipping cream in my coffee, have been eating cheese curds, keto pizza, bone broth, bacon and eggs (not nessisarily all of these in one day). The ap set up my macro calculations along with a suggested calorie intake. It has me at 1280 calories. For fats I’ve been doing avocados and MTC oil. I’m cooking for a family of six, so I’m trying to keep things simple for myself since I’m not eating what they are eating. Thanks so much for the help. Honestly any help is appreciated. My main reason for doing this diet is mental clarity and blood sugar stabilization. I have about 10lbs to lose since my last baby, and would love to see that go as well. I’m very short so that translates to a full jeans size for me… however If I did this diet and only saw this awful brain fog disappear, I would be beyond happy. :wink: thanks guys!

(Cindy) #18

Thank you so much for all the suggestions - a lot of things I hadn’t even thought of. My protein needs to be around 60g per day - I’m a small person. I’m able to do that easily. I’ve been trying these suggestions and increasing my fat, and I feel better and I dropped a couple of pounds - a nice surprise! So thank you to all of you!

(Karen) #19

Oddly it works. I find it harder these days not to over do fat.

K

(Hoteski) #20

Here’s one suggestion. Get cod liver oil… It’s so good for you body … my dad as I was growing up insisted we take one table spoon of it every day without fail. So now I’m on keto I’ve gone back to it.

I’m from iceland and there you would take a table spoon or two of cod liver oil every day.

Grown up there and now doing keto I realised that my food growing up was very keto friendly. Hardly any fruit growing up. Sweets only once a week if your lucky and no take aways … Ever … Fish with butter and some potatoes was a stable . Yes I know potatoes not so great but this is without being on any ‘special’ diet.
Pasta wasn’t ever on my plate. Meat and vegetables or fish n veg …