How do I fuel? Bad timing

(Helen Clark) #1

Hi
Some friends asked me to fill a space on The Total Warrior Race last minute (2 days time! -12k with 25 obstacles, should take a couple of hours as it is double your running) I am newish to keto and dont know what to fuel with as may not be fat adapted.

I started the keto diet 7 weeks ago but had a week off in the middle so I have done 3 weeks stict keto either side. I go to the gym and do high intensity workouts 3 times a week first thing in the morning before I have eaten and have done that for 18 months. I also have started doing 10k’s once a week before I eat. I don’t know what t do for this race that starts at 11am. Ideally I would stick to keto and eat before I set off and after the race (not entirely sure what yet) but am worried in case my body lets me down as it is not ready for it. I am in a team so also don’t want to be the one they are dragging round. The 12k itself wouldnt phase me but add in lots of power draining obstacles and that is a different matter.

I have read that if you have always excercised in a morning before food your body is used to fueling from fat? I have also read some advice that tells people so early in their keto journey just to have carbs to fuel on the day and then restart keto afterwards (I will do if I have to but would rather not)

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

I have bad experiences when I exercise with less than 8 hours fasting. If it were me, I’d eat a big dinner the night before and the morning up only take care of my electrolytes. But if your feeling hungry, maybe a handful of nuts or nut butter.

I had a friend that was doing keto for a bit but then had a race to do so they carb loaded the night before. Lets just say that during the race…nature called…in an intense way and they had to scramble mid race to a porta-potty. Then they said fasting it would have been way better.

At 7 weeks, you should be somewhat fat adapted. An hour before the race, load up on sodium/potassium. As @anniegirl9 said, you could eat up with keto the night before as well. If you truly want a prerace fuel, mct oil is the quickest to get more ketones in.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Go VERY easy on MCT oil. It’s hard on the digestive system if one isn’t used to it. No more than a teaspoon if someone has never used it before or hasn’t in a while.

Nice catch Annie!

(Helen Clark) #6

Thank you both. Sounds like a good plan. Will eat well tonight, sort electrolytes in morning and take nut butter with me as I love it but normally can’t eat much to stay in my macros/calories. MCT scares me a little so wont introduce it the day before just in case :slight_smile: