How damn long will my body kick out sugar? Replaced “liver” with “body” to be accurate

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

@chris1 Here to second Doug’s comment. At that level A1C, your body has learned to deal with glucose. Congrats. Keep up the good work and you’ll have nothing to worry about.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #22

If your HbA1C is that low, it doesn’t appear you have anything to worry about. Mazel tov!

(Todd Allen) #23

Yes, it is your body making the sugar. Our glycogen stores are tiny maybe good for a day or two of low activity. I never crossed the threshhold to diabetes, my highest fasting blood sugar was 120 mg/dl and still it took many months to get below 100. I think the main advantage of a normal blood sugar is it gives some headroom such that we can eat a piece of fruit and the rise in blood sugar doesn’t climb into the danger zone. If you are at 120 and don’t eat things that raise it higher then I doubt it will cause any harm and you will continue to get healthier. And eventually you should regain the headroom to safely eat some carbs in moderation.

(UsedToBeT2D) #24

I had exactly the same thing on a 4 day fast. Been Keto for six months. Very low carbs and no sugar in diet. I’ve lost 40 pounds, off insulin and Metformin. I believe the liver can convert fat to glucose for those organs that need glucose. My muscles are fat adapted and prefer ketones, so they are rejecting the glucose, and it circulates in my blood. I think this is called adaptive glucose sparing. So I am not particularly concerned about a slightly high blood glucose reading. My ketone measurement says I am deep therapeutic ketosis. In other words, your liver will always kick out glucose converted from fat, and as your insulin sensitivity improves eventually your base glucose numbers will come down. We know that glucose can be converted to fat, so the opposite must be true. KCKO

Having lost/kept off 200+ lbs for over 6 years, my experience says these glucose readings are normal.
Something to consider: as important as protein is, I use it as a lever (eating less of it) instead of fat (obviously they’re working together, with carbs between 0 & 24% on refeed days). Might be controversial for some, but my PCP and heart docs are still dumbfounded by my results.

(Utility Muffin Research Kitchen) #26

You were not an idiot. You believed in what most nutritionalists preach.

My morning bg is still around 105 after 18 months of keto. Right now, 2 days into a fast, I’m at 95 (in the afternoon). It is what it is. But I also think that the “normal” bg isn’t the big issue. We get into trouble if we have high glucose spikes after meals. A1c is much, much better than measuring bg, because it measures the browning reaction. Robert Lustig talks about this somehwere in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxyxcTZccsE

(Bob M) #27

After 6.5 years low carb/keto, my blood sugar appears to be less than 100 in the mornings.

But note that my blood sugar is like this (multiply by 18 to get US numbers):

And it still seems to be that way, only the whole curve has moved downward: my morning blood sugar this morning was 91 (about 5.0) this morning, but I’ll get in the upper 70s to low 80s at night, and if I test near “lunch”, I’ll get a higher result (don’t eat “breakfast”). Alas, I only have pin prick blood sugar now, so I don’t take them as often.

(Bob M) #28

This is what things look like now (red = morning value; the first column to the right of the time is breath ketone reading from Ketonix; the next column is pin prick blood sugar using a Free Style Libre):

(Christopher) #29

This is the trend lately, down down down, then up. Then down down down and up. I am trying to just ride the wave - started a four day fast last night so I am hoping doing these twice a month will help get this resolved. This is the data from my CGM Dexcom G6 this am…

(Diane Beebe) #30

I have been low carb/keto-ish for years…have never been overweight. Lab work is always good on the sugar end and this morning at 9:30 my glucose was 116. There is a thing about glucose being higher in the morning…I also intermittent fast. So, you can probably relax…:blush:

(charlie3) #31

Everything related to diet and exercise has to be measured in years. 3 years ago my non fasted morning glucose measured 175 (!). Two years later, after a year of low carb/exercise, fasted morning value 106. A year after that, 83. I suspect that’s where it will settle.

Yes, I saw that in his book. Dr Fung also mentions that even though it appears that the blood sugar is higher in the blood (having come from your own body, not food) your insulin isn’t getting higher because of it.

Because you’re not eating, you’re not causing insulin to raise. When your insulin rises due to eating (or certain medications), it causes you to save the sugar as fat if the sugar is not burned off. I’m just paraphrasing from the books. So your body is doing what is expected.

Just keep to what your original plan is, and try not to stress about it (stress interferes with lowering insulin or reducing fat). And for fun, read Dr Fung’s books. I bought the diabetes one and lent it to a friend (I need to read it again!), and also the Obesity and Fasting books. It’s a great education!