How come some people do not gain substantially by eating carbohydrates and sugar?

(Aimee Moisa) #26

Yup, if I hadn’t gone low carb at 38 I would never have reproduced. I went back to SAD when I got pregnant, but she was born healthy and seems to have inherited my husband’s SAD-adapted traits. Won’t know for sure of course until she hits puberty, but she has his body type so she might have his metabolism as well.

(Danielle ) #27

I have to do this one as well! Looks so interesting! I am Scandinavian, although I know our family originally came from France during the revolution. My spouse on the other hand seem 100% Swedish. It would be surprising to find anything else! :joy:

If you get your genome the one time, the majority of those tests on viamedex are just reports for some single markers found in your genome and you will have them all :smile:

(Danielle ) #29

How does the biome work? Can I find out what I have?

(Bunny) #30

Here is one:

https://www.viome.com

May want to have peek at this also:

Blood sugar levels in response to foods are highly individualized. (click here)

(KCKO, KCFO) #31

Just young and no insulin resistance yet. Some are more prone to it than others.

I used to eat glazed donuts right out of the deep fry machine on a regular basis. I was vegetarian and ate primarily grains. I baked my own breads and ate most of it too. I was just over 100 lbs.often slipping into the 90s. After I turned 30, that story really started to change. I yoyoed etc. for over 35 years. Now I am 69 and been keto for two years, in maintenance for over a year, I can’t eat any of those things from my youth. But I am healthier and happier than ever before.

You are the lucky one, you are seeing your insulin resistance and can change your lifestyle. You can get trim and healthy and stay that way with the right lifestyle. Learn all you can here and apply it.

Don’t worry about what they think, they probably aren’t thinking your eating candy etc. because they are too self absorbed in what they are doing. Most people, even your closest friends, care more about their own life and habits than yours. You just get on with your life and be your own beautiful self.

(Danielle ) #32

Thanks for this inspiring message!

I have a feeling things will start happen as soon as they have kids or become a bit older. For instance, after two kids, it became much harder for me to reduce in weight than just before the pregnancies.

(Maha) #33

It depends on the genes you’re born with. I have two sons, 13 and 15, same parents. The 13 is carb intolerant, the 15 is carb tolerant. The 13 eats relatively healthily, though does eat carbs too. The 15 eats miniscule veggies, small portions of everything and is a sugar addict of unreal proportions. The 13, while not fat, is a little heftier and the 15 is bean pole thin. They both get about the same amount of activity. Why is the 13 the way he is? Because he inherited my genes, whereas the 15 inherited my husband’s. The major difference I see between the two is that the 15 will not eat past his fill line, whereas the 13 does. The 13 eats more frequently, and therefore is probably triggering insulin storage response, than the 15. Because of my eating habits, they both by default eat less carbs than before. The 13 is not defective and I would argue that the 15, while carb tolerant, is at a disadvantage - he won’t believe that his body can become unhealthy if he doesn’t reduce his carbs, simply because he’s thin and will likely be that way for the rest of his life, taking after my husband. The 13 is already aware and makes small conscious decisions to not eat certain foods.

Bottom line, you’re fine, so are your friends and family. Each person has something to deal with. This is yours. It may be their’s too one day, but not now, or they may have something else to deal with instead, that because they don’t follow a low carb way, may impact them worse than you having to deal with weight now. Like dementia.

(Vladaar Malane) #34

I wouldn’t say anyone actually can eat substantial amounts of carbohydrates without being affected in some way.

By that I mean, sure you might stay lean the first 10 years doing that, but eventually it catches up to you. It may catch up to you in ways other than gaining fat. For example some become type 2 diabetics when they are skinny. But I’m sure all kinds of disease, ailments can be directly caused by it, that we just don’t know about.

(Danielle ) #35

I agree! My father was always fit, exercised regularly, never smoked and rarely drank. When he was about 50 he got a blood clot in his leg and then later in his lung. It feels like this must be diet related, because he thought lean meat, pasta salad, and fat-free was the healthiest food choices.

(Aimee Moisa) #36

OMG Why have I never heard of this study before? Why is no one talking about it?

(CharleyD) #37

Since you noticed, there’s the ectopic fat from fructose metabolism, denovo lipogenesis. They’re not immune forever!

(Bunny) #38

Some thoughts:

I think one of the reasons this is not considered an exact science (yet) other than a comparative actuarial science where you send in a fecal sample and the database tells you what to eat (measuring your biome ratios), to create a better biome that a healthy person has or something to that effect; and another reason is that they are still trying to map out specifically which gut flora biome are responsible for what and how certain macronutrients (carbs-proteins-fats) are digested and synthesized in that matrix and how that effects glycemic response? Could be, there is something in that gut flora that does not belong their (e.g. anti-biotics? ‘out-of-place-bacteria?’); created by the processed stuff we ate for so long?

How complicated is this?

Mind-altering microbes: how the microbiome affects brain and behavior: Elaine Hsiao at TEDxCaltech

Microbiome: Gut Bugs and You | Warren Peters | TEDxLaSierraUniversity: Can gut bugs change the world? Join Warren Peters on a journey into understanding your microbiome and the new discoveries changing the way we understand diabetes, obesity, Alzheimer’s disease, autism, and our everyday health and wellness.

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #39

Hey trying to find information on AMY1 on promethease and struggling. Anyone managed this with your reports?

(CharleyD) #40

No, my Promethease doesn’t show the AMY1 gene in the gene drop-down. And searching for amylase doesn’t bring up anything.

Wondering just how shoddy the 23andme product is.

(Ken) #41

It’s about Leptin Resistance. Some genetic lines do not develop it as rapidly when following the NAD. The men on my mother’s side do have this trait. Those on my Father’s side, like me, do.not.What happens is their resistance levels do not get high enough for excess fat gain until older, even Middle Age. They also are the type who develop Type II Diabetes while still fairly lean.

What has happened with our younger generations is that the whole low fat conceit has overridden this trait, causing them to develop leptin resistance at younger ages.

These are also the folks that have the easiest time losing fat once their resistance levels drop.

(KCKO, KCFO) #42

Promethease is built by volunteers, so it might not be a problem with 23andme test.

I found AMY1 listed on a couple of other genetics sites, this one has links to many of them:
https://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=AMY1A

That is a rabbit hole I don’t want to go down any further for the time being, but my wade around found this interesting tidbit which would explain why some people need strict no fructose eating to lose the weight, their genes don’t know how to break up fructose, mine is the normal one which would explain why I can have all the berries, a bit of apple/pear/figs without adverse effect:
https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/rs1800546

(CharleyD) #43

Whew, I’m G;G(normal) on rs1800546.

Funny how there’s likely no feathers ruffled if you mentioned you have Hereditary Fructose Intolerance and therefore must abstain from fruit and sugar and sweets. But if you say the same thing when you just have standard T2DM, everyone just loses their minds.

Also, did we just discover the cause of spontaneous human combustion? Hydrogen is pretty flammable…

The current gold standard for testing of fructose intolerance is the hydrogen breath test, in which the patient is administered fructose in the clinical setting, and hydrogen levels are measured before and at intervals after administration of the bolus of fructose. An increase in hydrogen produced reflects the failure of the patient to absorb fructose, which is then metabolized by bacteria in the gastrointestinal system to give off hydrogen. The disadvantage of this test is that many patients respond to the fructose administration with signs of severe hypoglycemia including altered consciousness, diaphoresis, and seizures, sometimes resulting in death.

Kind of mean that the gold standard of testing HFI is deadly. You’d think that genetic testing would be considered more positive.

(Doug) #44

Same here… :neutral_face: Boy, different world now… :wink:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Sure is. Thank God for keto! :+1: