How come I did not fall out of ketosis?

(Liz Santiago) #1

Yesterday, I had a very busy day and by 2pm I had not eaten anything aside from my morning coffee so I stopped at Wendy’s to eat. I had a baconator with no bun but I did not had the will of not eating the medium fries that come with the burger. I never cheat and I rarely eat out unless something happens that force me to do it like yesterday. I checked my glucose and ketones expecting the worst but, although my glucose was 140 and ketones 0 (usually even after eating it dos not go higher than 110) by 6 pm my ketones were .5. Today, I woke up expecting no ketosis but when I measure they were .6 so I am wondering why I did not fall out of ketosis? When I checked how many carbs are in those fries it says that they are 56 carbs so I most have eaten at least 60-70 carbs yesterday.

(Allie) #2

Because your body used the glucose as fuel like it’s meant to.

(Robin) #3

Yeah, there have been a few times when I was forced to eat some carbs. I don’t test ketones or anything, but I felt no repercussions. And my weight did not suffer.
Just a blip on our journey. Carry on.

(Liz Santiago) #4

But don’t you fall out if you eat more than 20? I just teste my ketones again just now and they are 1.3 so I am bewildered

(Liz Santiago) #5

Crazy! I have always thought that if you eat more than 20 carbs you fall from ketosis no matter what

(Allie) #6

No you don’t.
20g is the best way for most people to ensure ketosis, but we all have different tolerances with some being able to eat maybe 100g without issue.
So the advice is to start with 20g and if you want, when you’re confident, play around to find your tolerance.

I originally ate 40g net carbs and maybe 80-100g total on keto and fat adaptation went smoothly. And I am just a lazy short woman with little muscles, many can go way higher though it’s not typical I think.

60-70 isn’t high enough to make sure to go out of ketosis I think, your muscles surely soaked up some right away, maybe they didn’t absorb super quickly anyway, it’s not like you drank a lot of fruit juice, it was complex carbs with some fiber and not even only carbs (no idea what that helps but surely something…?).

Still lucky, I probably wouldn’t expect staying in ketosis after such a meal unless I have a super active day like hiking a lot (no idea if that would help enough but maybe?).

Sorry, I don’t know enough just dump my thoughts here. I am only sure that we often can go way higher than 20g without problems but it’s quite individual and circumstances matter, I just don’t know exactly which and to what extent.

(Liz Santiago) #8

:flushed::astonished:

(Doug) #9

If you’re burning fat for energy, you’re making ketones, regardless of what else you’re eating.

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

It depends on your insulin sensitivity or resistance.

When I started keto I had to stay with 20 g. But after a year+ on this WOE, I found I could easily stay in ketosis with up to 50 grams. After almost 7 yrs. of this WOE, I have had over 100 g at a meal with no negative effects, I now average between 30-60 gram most days.

Now if you ate this way daily you might find it is a problem. But once is not gonna kill ya’.

KCKO

(Bob M) #11

I think it was a Phinney/Volek study where they were looking at cyclists, one set high carb and one low carb/keto. After exercising (a lot), the high carb folk actually went into ketosis. Now, it wasn’t for very long, but if you do enough exercise (while not replacing carbs to the extent needed), you can get into ketosis.

I’m having an issue in that I want to compare two meals: one higher carb after lifting “weights” (body weight training, mostly); the same high carb meal when not lifting. My theory is that the former would allow one to eat a lot more carbs without dropping out of ketosis.

The problem is that I seem to be able to eat a large amount of carbs and stay in ketosis.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

That makes sense, because their insulin would have dropped low enough to permit it.

Interesting hypothesis, but I suspect it would have more to do with how insulin-sensitive one is, and that would apply to anyone, not just athletes. The greater the insulin-sensitivity, the less insulin it takes to keep glucose under control, and the likelier that the amount of insulin required to respond to the carb intake would still be below the threshold.