How can I want to become ketogenic again?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #41

@PaulL I always enjoy your witty comments. Just a question: have you tested in yourself the difference between carbs coming from wheat, from carbs coming from fruit, vegetables and / or legumes?

I ask this because I have the strong feeling that for me (and people may be different … and are different!) wheat is the real culprit. Vegetables are just good to me. I am starting to experiment with some fruit (not legumes yet).

(Karen) #42

I agree with you on this. Wheat is a real problem for me, and I’m starting to wonder about dairy. When I eat a vegetable loaded salad with meat I feel the very best. Or a large pile of cooked vegetables with 2-3 oz meat.

Baby steps Melzell. Work your way back to Keto. Use keto treats a crutch if needed.

(Bunny) #43

The bigger question can you oxidize natural sugars as well as refined sugars?

How active are you? If I was sedentary then I would eat more fat and protein and if I was active, I would eat more carbs with the fat and protein, but the more lean mass I gain, then I’m better at burning actual body fat because the mitochondria in my existing fat cells are acting like a blast furnace for glucose before it can be turned into a lipid droplet when resting and eating lots of carbohydrates (sugar).

You eat too much of any kind of sugar and remain sedentary and you eventually outpace your ability to oxidize it before it is turned into body fat?

Refined sugar or simple carbohydrates are absorbed at great speeds but when you eat a natural sugar with it’s natural fiber it is absorbed much slower so your body has time to oxidize it.

(Bunny) #44

And will get more horrifying as the truth becomes more scientific and less emotional.

I’m a stickler about placebo and paradox!

(bulkbiker) #45

As well as about expressing your personal opinions as scientific facts?

Again your opinion… we have no “need” to eat refined sugar or simple carbohydrates or so called “natural” sugars, absolutely zero.

That is a scientific fact.

(Karen) #46

Still don’t you wonder about the purpose of a healthy biome.?

spaceb….boy if you could even back up a 1/10th of what you spewed out in that terrible post?
ugh

emotional is humans…lest we forget LOL

Well that escalated quickly. :joy:

It is not eating junk that’s difficult. Since I posted this I have been trying to remember how I felt back in the summer when I slipped into carnivore for a couple weeks. I remember not having any craving at all. But I also remember walking on pins and needles scared that something would be tempting me. And it did. While on a trip with my hub and daughter she bought me candy. I agreed to eat only 2 pieces. At the end of the weekend I rewarded my good behavior with a very high carb meal. But after all of these encouraging comments from everyone I do believe I’m going to get back soon. I’m not prepared at home but during the upcoming 2 week school break I plan to use it to get back on track. I’m really hoping to can get my brain back to where it needs to be.

I have had the “why” for years. I simply got tired of caring about it when we went through this bad time a couple months ago. I haven’t forgotten it at all. I just Do. Not. Care.
But I do believe I’m about to get back to it.

I was doing this. I’m glad you reminded me of it. I miss keto in some aspects. But I am so afraid of feeling sick all of the time. I also don’t want to have to go buy new clothes…again. Lol

Also, thank you for that reminder. I had slipped off keto before (but not deliberately like this time) and noticed that it was different. It took longer to lose but once I got that ball rolling it started melting again.

Yes but I didn’t fall really. I deliberately jumped off. It was kind of scary. I guess I should have worded that better in my op

I wish that’s all I ate every single day. Just meat and veggies and I’m done. I want to give up sweets, even the “keto” ones. I’m beginning to think they are triggering something else in my brain because I have only ever succeeded to the max on keto when I left them out. And I plan to eliminate dairy because I think it’s a trigger to for me.

(Susan) #55

Maybe doing a 72 hour water/black tea/black coffee fast would help purge your body of the carbs and junk in your system, then you could just stick to the 20 net grams of carbs, proteins and healthy fats, and try to avoid all sugar and sugar substitutes. I found I had to eliminate all sugar substitutes in June.

I am planning on making a few Keto treats for New Year’s Eve (even though I might not even eat any or many of them myself, but for treats for company. I rarely drink, but I will have a couple of drinks that day. I am doing a 72 hour fast atm, I just find Fasting is a big aid in getting rid of the toxins in our bodies =).

(Jack Bennett) #56

Sometimes it takes a little bit (or a lot) of contemplating and conscious and unconscious “thinking it over” before diving back into something that seems potentially challenging. But the fact that you’re here and talking about it seems like a very positive sign :grinning:

Oh no. I’m not anywhere near being able to do that yet. I’ve only ever went 16 hours on a fast. I know I’m not mentally prepared for a fast quite yet. But thank you for the suggestion.

Yes! Just getting it out there has helped me do a lot of contemplating!
Found some of Maria Emmerich’s protein noodle lasagna in my freezer at lunch I today that I had made just before our turmoil. It was like striking gold to me!! I heated that up, poured on the Parmesan, and ohhhh man! Soooo delicious!!!

Hey Melzell, first, I give you a ton of credit. Sometimes it’s harder to leave something than it is to stick to it, believe it or not. My thinking is this–life’s short and you have to enjoy everything it has to offer, and to also not take it too seriously all the time. I do not stick to keto religiously. I’m sorry but it’s just too limiting. I hop on and off what I call the keto express. Check out my videos on youtube. You can modify your keto, which I believe is even a healthier way to go, or hop on and off as you choose. The main thing is to feel good, not deprive yourself and keep an eye on your goal weight to use a your own personal barometer. I hope this helps and wish you nothing but the best and a great holiday season (by the way, just released my holiday video which discusses this EXACT topic.)

Cheers
Terry

(Daisy) #60

Yes, absolutely! I had to cut out ALL sweeteners. It was almost as bad as sugar for me. The only “treat” I have from time to time is 100% unsweetened chocolate or a spoonful of raw honey