How best to end a fast?

conversationstarters
fasting

(Amanda) #1

I’m typically OMAD but have done the occasional 40-90h fast whenever I feel like it (about every 4-6 weeks). I am at hour 86, thinking that I will end my fast tonight at supper, 5-6 hours from now. I’m just wondering about the best way to end a fast. Each time I have completed my fast I have had some digestive distress (too fast, followed by much too slow). I have tried ending with chicken broth, scrambled eggs, or some steamed broccoli there was no difference in result.

What is your go-to fast ender?

(Debbie) #2

I often fast for 36-40 hours. I usually end it because my blood pressure drops too low and start feeling sick to my stomach. The last time eating a couple stalks of celery seemed to put me right, then a light meal of chicken soup and greens with olive oil and lemon juice about an hour later.

I just now ended a 4-day fast with a generous helping of steamed broccoli, 1-2 oz. of cheese, about 2-inches of summer sausage, and some egg salad (eggs, mayo, mustard). At or just under 20 total carbs and probably under my calorie intake but didn’t want to push it. I’ll probably make up for it tomorrow. LOL

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #4

I have had a lot of mixed results also, my last fast was the best ending but by no means perfect. I did a cup of homemade bone broth and three olives.

I have tried a lot of things and this turned out the best

(Amanda) #5

So I ended my fast last night with 2 cups of chicken stock with salt, garlic powder and pepper added. About 30 minutes later I had 2 sticks of celery, then waited. Everything was feeling good, so about 30 minutes later I had 3 eggs scrambled with a bit of celery, mushrooms, and some leftover farmers sausage, and 4 slices of bacon. I spent over an hour in the bathroom after supper and another 30 minutes at about 3 am. Did I over my refeed? Is this normal? I like fasting, but I am not a fan of the post fast effects.

While I am normally OMAD, today I packed some Chicken broth, seed crackers, garlic stuffed olives and .5 oz of cheese for lunch in case I am hungry. Does this sound safe? I am a little nervous to reload the cannon, as it were.

FEBRUARY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME
(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #6

For me any fast 3 days or more, I always have to stay near a bathroom. I think at that # of days the gut microbiom has to be reconstructed and you have difficulty digesting things.